• Pictures
  • Singer 319 in need of TLC >
  • Singer 319 in need of TLC

• Singer 319 in need of TLC

Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bannie
    I got one just like that today . How did you get the top off? bannie
    Mine had screws in the top - 3 of them and then it comes off - I had to raise the keys and maneuver a bit until it came off What color did you find? I love the color of mine now that the gunk is off. I've worked on it enough to get the rest of the gunk off, move the zig zag but I haven't fooled with the tension other than to clean it a bit. I have a feeling it is going to be a never ending job cleaning up that machine - I keep finding more specks. I'm happy I got a good set of throat plates and accessories. Did I post a manual and a service manual on here?
    http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf a link to a user's manual
    and a repair manual - this covers all "swing needles" http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf

Last edited by miriam; 11-07-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
    It is to keep the gears lubricated. The pot just had a couple screws holding it on. I pulled them off and cleaned the grease out with a screw driver end - then I painted it with the kerosene and turned it a bit to wash it out good inside where I can't see. Lots of goo came out of there. I painted until it ran clean again. I'll pack it full of grease when I get that far. You all have to stay tuned in a week or two for part 2 of the continuing saga of 'Mr Ed the 319w before his time sewing machine'. I am fascinated by the engineering on the older zig zag machines. Each one is unique isn't it? I'm pretty sure I need to do something to the stitch length regulator - it doesn't travel.
    The stitch length regulator is really odd, part of it is UNDER the machine. I did get it cleaned up and it works slick as can be now!
    Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 PM

You did a great service to an old veteran of the sewing wars. You gave it a new lease on life. How does it sew now?
    Great thing you did.
    Old 11-08-2011, 11:03 PM
    Power Poster

I am waiting on an order from Sew Classic - I need the needle and a belt, etc
    Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 PM

Wow! What a transformation. Underneath that layer of grime was a real beauty.
    Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 AM

Lots of hard work and elbow grease but once you sit down to sew on it, you will
    Forget the effort and just enjoy the outcome.
    Old 11-11-2011, 02:17 PM
    Power Poster

Bloomin' Iris came over today and we got Mr. Ed's tension apart and put back together. It took 5 tries to get the spring in the right place but we got it. Then we figured out the zig zag adjuster. I'm waiting on some needles from Sew-Classic - then I have to put the needle bar back together. It is made with some kind of little plug in the hole and I haven't quite figured that out yet. Anybody know much? Mr. Ed's cabinet front is really a door. Behind the door is a big hole on the left. To change the bobbin you reach in through the hole in the front and change it. I don't think it can be changed from the slide plate with out being an acrobat with a very small hand. I shot a pic of the tension off and then after we replaced it - let's see if it loads.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	319 tension 001.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	837.2 KB
ID:	286428   Click image for larger version

Name:	319 tension 002.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	796.0 KB
ID:	286429  
    Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 PM

Miriam, you can change the bobbin by removing the plate. But, the paint will get chipped over time, doing it that way.
    Old 11-11-2011, 02:22 PM
    Power Poster

pictures are kind of blurry but we did get it on and the tension seems to do what it should do. Mr Ed still needs some fine clean up. So it will be q tip work for a while - lots of dirty little corners and such. There is still more gunk on the stitch selector slide - seems like even a few specks keep things from moving well.
    Old 11-11-2011, 02:26 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
    Miriam, you can change the bobbin by removing the plate. But, the paint will get chipped over time, doing it that way.
    I can see that it could knock off paint. The slide plate lifts at the round end - there is a little pin holding it in place - then it slides out. I've not seen anything like it. This machine came with 3 plates. A zigzag plate, a single hole and a free motion/darning plate!