Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using flannel >
  • Using flannel

• Using flannel

Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Default Using flannel

I am new here. I am beginning a flannel quilt for my grandson who is on the way. I haven't used flannel before. I have already cut my squares. I have read that I should use a 1/2 seam allowance. I washed the flannel before cutting on the delicate setting. Does anyone have any other tips? I have read that people have used sizing with flannel.

Thanks,
    Diane
    Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM
    Power Poster

if you have already cut your squares you really don't need sizing or starch---that is generally used before cutting - it helps keep the flannel from stretching while cutting.
    i do not (baby) my flannels- and make many many flannel quilts- i toss them into the washer on a regular cycle- dry them in a hot dryer- use a bit wider seam allowance- and if they are heavy-double sided really good flannels i lengthen the stitch length a bit- too small of a stitch may cause a little bit of puckering along the seam line if they are heavy-
    other than that use like any other cotton fabric- that's what it is- just softer/loftier - and in my book much nicer to work with....some people complain about flannels being stretchy---in 48 years of sewing i've never experienced this problem- i have seen some thin-loose weave flannels that were stretchy - but i never bought them so have no experience with them.
    Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM

Thanks! I appreciate your help!
    Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 PM

I have made several flannel quilts and even hand quilted one. If you are making a baby quilt, it won't matter much what type of batting you use, but making a large quilt, I would suggest using a thin, low-loft poly batting. The one that I hand quilted was warm and natural cotton and with flannel backing, it was way too heavy.
    Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 PM
    Power Poster

Welcome to the Board from Minnesota and happy quilting
    Old 02-05-2012, 02:43 PM

I am making 10 flannel charity quilts for David's house. I have used flannel before, and it does stretch a bit. I use a longer stitch and a bit looser tension to prevent puckering. I iron without sizing, I don't like using chemicals for infants and young children quilts, just a quirk for me. Do use thin batting, or even a layer of flannel as batting. It folds nice, and is so cuddly. I do not use 1/2 inch seam allowance as it creates too much bulk.