Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing machine - buyers remorse? >
  • Sewing machine - buyers remorse?

• Sewing machine - buyers remorse?

Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 PM

Default Sewing machine - buyers remorse?

Hi-

Has anyone here ever regretted buying one of the higher end sewing machines out there? Like a Bernina or Viking that is $5k or more? I am just curious because I am thinking about buying a high end machine, but ya know, part of me is saying, why?? Thanks, JC
    Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 PM

I got a Brother $4000 minus some off for being on sell. I'm sorry I didn't get a higher end one that did more.
    Old 03-30-2012, 02:49 PM
    Power Poster

I don't have those brands ... though did buy a Janome that to me was high end and at the time of purchase I had some guilty thoughts. Once I started using it ... I've never had any regrets. NOT AT ALL!!! Love it!

The important thing is to do youre research and know what you are buying.

I am a firm believer of buying well ... a little above my current needs, and what I anticipate they will be. It gives some room for growth with less of a need to want to upgrade soon after.

Determine your "needs" list and your "dream" list. Then go shopping and be sure to test drive any of the machines you are considering.

There's lots of good spec lists on the web so that you can compare what the differences are between models. When I bought my last machine, I thought the machine I was looking at was what I wanted ... and asked the dealer to show me the one above, and what the key differences were. Once I heard those, I knew that the upgrade machine was certainly more to my needs than the initial one I was looking at ... yes, as I said a little guilt at the time ... since then, I have been SO SO happy, and probably have done far more sewing because I absolutely love the machine!
    Old 03-30-2012, 02:57 PM

I spent a smidge over $10,000 for a long arm and never looked back...I love it! And I also have some fairly expensive DSM's as well...what the heck, I'm worth it!
    Old 03-30-2012, 03:01 PM

I have a Viking SE that I bought when it was the high end machine...I still use it and love it. I do regret that I spent so much because I didn't really enjoy the embroidery part of it...so I feel I have wasted that. Looked into selling it and getting something better for quilting, but when I tried the new machines today...wasn't impressed...keeping mine and glad I have it.
    Old 03-30-2012, 03:05 PM

Yes, I bought the Janome 11000 in December 2010 and actually just sold it. I decided pretty quickly after buying it that it was too much for me and I wanted to sell it back but the dealer wasn't interested. I paid $5000 for it and recovered about half the cost for a machine that hadn't been used much. So make really sure you want the machine and you're not going to regret it.
    Old 03-30-2012, 03:08 PM

I have two Vikings. One is a Quilt Designer II, the other is a Designer SE. I bout the Designer II first, and I found out rather quickly that the add-ons were going to cost more than I would have spent to just buy the SE in the first place. I love my SE. It's great for embroidery and sewing. But my Designer II has more room under the arm for quilting. I love them both, really.
    I've gotten used to the needle threader and automatic lowering of the presser foot. So, it's tough going back to a machine that's not so computerized. I end up wondering where the lever is for the presser foot, or if it has one.
    Old 03-30-2012, 03:08 PM

If you are unsure, try buying one used so you don't have as much invested in it.
    Old 03-30-2012, 03:12 PM

I've never regretted buying my Bernina 10 years ago. I have never had a problem
    with it and it sews the perfect stitch. Bernina ia a perfect example of
    'you get what you pay for'.
    Old 03-30-2012, 03:21 PM

No regrets here. You need to purchase what you are comfortable with. Do your homework and know what features you are looking for. Too many times we buy less than what we want due to cost, and regret later regret it.