Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what do you do if >
  • what do you do if

• what do you do if

Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 AM
    Power Poster

the pattern itself is what is protected----if the person at the craft fair was trying to sell copies of the pattern that she had copied herself---that is an infringement---
    you can not publish or copy other designers patterns and sell them as your own-
    when you purchase a pattern you can use it to create something of your own & do with it what you want.
    Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 AM

I am so confussed................so I purchased a quilt pattern, and made the quilt. I had it for a while but my taste changed, or my space became too limited for all...........therefore I decided to sell it............I can't? calla
    Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by calla
    I am so confussed................so I purchased a quilt pattern, and made the quilt. I had it for a while but my taste changed, or my space became too limited for all...........therefore I decided to sell it............I can't? calla
    yes you can....just don't make 100 of them and try to sell them!
    Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by lwatts
    She is so Right!
    there is a site called Tabberone's, they have faught against all the Big large guys for this very reason, they have won them all also. The large companies say this all the time but the way the USA laws work, once it is put into production, the seller looses all control... they can yell and start a sceen, but they will not be backed up by the laws.

here is the website! this is a great read..
    ww.tabberone.com/Trademarks/trademarks.shtml
    tabberone only deals with certain issues and is not always 100% correct on most of them!
    EAch case, each person, each designer, each issue all deserve to be looked at and the facts taken into consideration!
    Old 04-10-2012, 10:13 AM
    Power Poster

that person could have gotten permission. you don't know. report it if necessary.
    Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 AM

native texan, the question is really from curiosity. I was seeking various opinions. It is way too late to do anything...the craft fair is past, I didn't take the name of the person, etc.
    Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM

MYOB. you don't have the facts and as others have noted, the designers can state whatever they want but they cannot control what you make with the pattern
    Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
    Maybe the original purchaser of the pattern made the quilt and gave it away. The recipient has NO contact, commercial or otherwise, with the designer. Maybe they didn't even know it was a designer pattern. Sort of like the knockoffs of designer handbags. The feds will arrest anyone selling the bags but won't prosecute anyone who just owns one.
    Actually there's a big difference between a knockoff and a counterfeit. They'll arrest you and confiscate counterfeit goods but not for a knockoff. That's why you'll see designer knockoff clothes in stores within weeks of something going down the runways.
    Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I know you have to have a quilt label stating who the designer is, that's all. Most people are now putting who made it and who machine quilted it also. I see people selling quilts all the time on ebay and etsy stores. I know a lot of them are from patterns, but who cares. I agree that it's the pattern itself that can't be copied and sold. I've read all about this.
    Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM

No matter what your position on the "legality" of the designer's statement, why on earth would you go out of your way to confront a seller at a craft show and virtually accuse them of stealing from the designer? What a hurtful thing to do! Re-read some of the threads posted here by members who have had the quilt police criticize them for one reason or another and see how such actions affect people. You did the right thing...walked away.