Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Spray basting and design wall >
  • Spray basting and design wall

• Spray basting and design wall

Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 AM

Default Spray basting and design wall

I seem to remember where someone posted about using their design board to sandwich their quilt. They sprayed the backing down while it was hanging up.

Anyone do that? If so, does it work as opposed to laying the sandwich down to spray baste it?

Thanks1
    Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 AM

On my last quilt, I just tacked my quilt backing to a bedroom wall; sprayed it well then smoothed on the batting, sprayed it well and then smoothed on the guilt top. It worked really well. But next time, I will definetely remember to apply some newspaper around the wall and the floor. It was easy to clean up, but would have been much simpler to just prepare the area first. So, I would think that a design wall would work also. Just remember to put something around it or the basting spray will be on your design board fabric.
    Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwV8tUkhxUM Check out this youtube on spray basting while hanging on a design wall.
    Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM

Just watched the YouTube video mentioned here and was going to ask if others do it the way she does. Will watch for answers.
    Old 04-23-2012, 01:28 PM

This was discussed before not too long ago and someone said it works great, except you don't want to spray your spray so close to the fabric, in the video she is way too close and I guess it makes a difference in how it turns out. Hope this helps for you. I know someone that does it on her wall and says it works out great, but haven't seen it yet or done it. I don't have any wall room left!
    Old 04-23-2012, 01:30 PM
    RST

I've done it. It worked fairly well. I hate the smell of basting spray, and I've found that it messes up my lungs, so I don't use it much any more.

I also press my quilt tops on the design wall -- since mine is made with insulation panels covered with felt, it can take the heat of the iron just fine. I get the best press doing it this way, specially on a large piece with lots of seams. I start by ironing the back with attention to the direction of the seams, then turn it over and get it nice and flat on the front.

RST
    Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 PM

I prepared a wall in the garage to use this method.....however, I covered the floor with newspapers and they stuck to my feet so the next time I used an old sheet. It worked a little better. It just seemed like a lot went on the floor.
    Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 PM
    Power Poster

If you go to Patsy Thompson's site she shows how to spray bast a quilt on the wall. Lots of other great video's there as well.
    Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 PM

I've learned a lot here at QB and on youtube, where Sharon Schamber shows how she hand baste a quilt with two boards. I tried the method and used basting spray and it is the easiest way for me. Please remember to cover off.