Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • in awe of all of you free motion quilters...... >
  • in awe of all of you free motion quilters......

• in awe of all of you free motion quilters......

Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM

You have all made my pistons start firing...brain pistons that is---I have been practicing FMQ off and on for a while but now have 2 tops done and need to get the FMQ mojo going. After reading your different approaches to the free slide problem I ran into my pantry and grabbed a piece of Press'n Seal. It has a sticky side which stuck beautifully to the machine and I just cut a hole for the needle (about 1/2" square). My practice sandwich does seem to slide much better! Hopefully it isn't just a fluke. I do have a question about gloves. I bought a pair of Fons & Porter which are very restrictive and am looking at the Machinegers but has anyone tried "Betty Bands". I have seen them on line and wondered how they work?
    Old 05-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jannm
    You have all made my pistons start firing...brain pistons that is---I have been practicing FMQ off and on for a while but now have 2 tops done and need to get the FMQ mojo going. After reading your different approaches to the free slide problem I ran into my pantry and grabbed a piece of Press'n Seal. It has a sticky side which stuck beautifully to the machine and I just cut a hole for the needle (about 1/2" square). My practice sandwich does seem to slide much better! Hopefully it isn't just a fluke. I do have a question about gloves. I bought a pair of Fons & Porter which are very restrictive and am looking at the Machinegers but has anyone tried "Betty Bands". I have seen them on line and wondered how they work?
    I made myself a very small "extension table" out of 2 paperbacks and a season of 24! I wrapped it all up with paper and then put Press and Seal on the top of it, and it does slide really well!
    As far as gloves, I wear $.89 mechanic gloves and cut the fingers out. I forget I'm wearing them sometimes. I have thought of making a "betty band" out of rubber shelf liner and velcro, but I haven't done that yet. I can't imagine spending $16 on shipping foam on a strap!
    Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 PM

Well, a follow up on my bright idea. The Press n'Seal does work really well but it does leave a residue on the bed of the machine. It came off easily with Fantastic but will have to "tweak" things a bit. Gloves are a problem for another day!!