Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Easier way to Dresden? >
  • Easier way to Dresden?

• Easier way to Dresden?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 PM

If you sew it right sides together to a light weight fusiable interfacing. Then cut the center of the interfacing away. Turn it right side out, smooth the edges, then press it to the background fabric. You can then use a blind hem stitch or just straight stich around it.

That being said, I have never made a dresden plate. If you sew the petals together first you could use one piece of light weight interfacing on the back of the plate instead of doing each petal seperately.

Linda L
    Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 PM
    Dee

I make a muslin and one from the fabric. Sew wrong sides together and leave a small opening to turn it to right side. Press and now you have a complete Dresden.
    Old 06-29-2012, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by liont
    Thks Chester. I just did a small experiment with a sample Dresden plate. I sewed the plate wrong side up onto a poplin. I trimmed away the excess around the plate, and flip it back inside out. Then I snipped, poked and pressed the petals. Then I trimmed away the excess poplin in the center. Did I do right?
    If what I've done is correct, this method is fairly straightforward. The only flip side I see is the extra bulk at the edge of the petals, where the poplin is.
    Try using a used dryer sheet. Just press them and sew on. Light weight and accomplishes the same thing.
    Old 06-29-2012, 01:16 PM

You can use used dryer sheets (the ones like interfacing and stitch around them right sides together, then snip them and turn inside out and press, they can then be machine stitched on to a foundation.

Great use to recycle.
    Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chester
    Have you tried the book "Dresden Plate Quilt - a simplified method by Wendy Gilbert". Its a Quilt in a Day publication. You sew a backing onto the plate & turn it inside out then just applique around the block. I have been very happy with the ones I have made. Here is a picture of one:[ATTACH=CONFIG]344894[/ATTACH]
    Might be even easier to sew the plate face-to-face with thin, fusible web, turn, etc and iron in place before using your chosen sewing method.
    Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 PM

liont, you might want to look for a book called Thoroughly Modern Dresden by Anelie Belden. She has a very easy method of Flip and stitch that makes it easier to complete the Dreseden Plate. Also more also has some great new ideas.
    Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon Chaffino
    liont, you might want to look for a book called Thoroughly Modern Dresden by Anelie Belden. She has a very easy method of Flip and stitch that makes it easier to complete the Dreseden Plate. Also more also has some great new ideas.
    Yes, have seen her works in a show. She does have a unique way of doing Dresden plates.
    Old 07-03-2012, 12:55 PM

I've experimented more. Two methods here.
    (1) Using a curved paper template and basting the round petal edge to the paper template, something like EPP. The basting threads and paper templates will be removed after the dresden plate is applique-ed onto the background fabric.
    (2) Using Steam a seam2 cut into a thin curved strip. Stick 1/4" from edge of round petal. Snip, turn in to stick to tacky side. Steam iron to fuse. Ultra sturdy as it ends up with a somewhat stiffer edge.
    Old 07-03-2012, 12:58 PM

A trick I learned from somebody (I want to say it was Pam Mostek but don't hold me to that). Use a narrow piece of the fabric used in the petal & face the petal with it. Then when you turn it, white (or whatever color interfacing you used) won't show -- it will just look like the fabric. I've tried it & I liked the way it worked & the way it looked.
    Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

www.craftsy.com ... go to quilting and go to the free BOM and go to July. She is doing Dresdens. She shows two ways of doing them. The first way is the traditional way, but the second way is so modern and I love it. It is very easy and different from any dresden I've ever seen before. Check it out...it might be worth your while!!