Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 2 Questions about Pins >
  • 2 Questions about Pins

• 2 Questions about Pins

Old 07-16-2012, 06:58 AM

I must be weird. I don't use anything. Except for when I reach the corners on the back side and I am hand stitching. Then I pin the corner the way I want it to fold and pin a bit before and a bit after. But I am hand sewing the back binding. When I am machine stitching the front of the quilt binding I just make sure that it is long enough to go around with extra to spare and start out. I always have left overs of binding.
    Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 AM

I dont use pins of any kind. I just line the binding up to the edge as I go. I find that if you pin you get alot of puckers. You can totally eliminate them by not pinning.
    Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM

I use hair clips too...they work great, are really inexpensive, and i don't get "stuck".
    Old 07-16-2012, 08:02 AM

I only use the wonder clips by Clover, now. I had tried pins, but they were too big of a pain in the butt. I would recommend the Wonder Clips to anyone.

Have a blessed day.

debra
    Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 AM

I started using the snap hair clips because I got tired of getting stuck all the time by pins. Ouch! But, I really want some Clover clips when I can afford them. They sound like the thing to use.
    Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 AM

I pin along the edge and then tuck the tip of the pin in the binding so not to get stuck ( again ) lol
    Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Smile Use pins only on corners

I use straight of grain binding folded in half and stitch on the edge using no pins except for the corner to miter the binding. I don't pres my binding in half and find it is much easier to blind stitch it down on the back. Always have good results. When I do use pins on any sewing project I use Superfine Iris, they are expensive but last a very long time. I just bought them from Amazon for $14.95 with free shipping.
    Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Call me cheap, but I use the binder clips that come from the office supply store (Staples, etc.) and right now at the back to school sale you get 50 of the small ones in lovely bright colors for $2. They just clip on, they stay on better than pins and they don't poke me if I have to fold it up before I get it done.
    Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 AM

Sometimes I pin from left to right - so I don't have to take out the pins before sewing past them. Other times, I just hold my binding in place & sew without pins. When sewing the binding to the back I use the flexible clips. Bought first ones from somewhere on line but find the hair clips found at the dollar store works just as well and much cheaper
    Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I only pin when sewing the front of my binding to my quilt sandwich. After that, I use the Clover Binding Clips to hold the back of the binding in place when sewing either by machine or by hand. Amazon has the best price for these lately http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Wonder-.../dp/B004ZKPX8A
    If you have a Joann's in your area and you have one of their 50% off coupons (assuming 50% is nation wide, but this I am not sure of) - you could pick up these Clover Wonder Clips (50 count) for $16.50 + tax right now (regular price is $32.99, these do not appear to be on sale right now).