Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Piecing Triangles >
  • Piecing Triangles

• Piecing Triangles

Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone! I've been thinking about trying something a little easier, but I'm determined to make this work. I'm anticipating lots of setbacks, but I've always been someone who enjoys overcoming challenges and I think that keeps me from feeling discouraged when I can't do something right away.

I cut out about 60 paper triangles and I'm practicing with them so I won't ruin any fabric. I've been laying the triangles on my ruler, placing the next one 1/4" below the point, and taping the opposite side in place (I'll use pins when I try this on fabric); it's much easier for me to do it this way than to make adjustments and keep re-measuring. The only problem I'm having now is that the paper isn't very flexible, so it's kind of hard to sew in some areas!

But so far, so good! I'll find some old clothing to cut up and practice with this weekend before I dive in!
    Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM

A lot of people spray starch their fabrics to help with the stretching problem.

Also, have you thought about paper piecing? Or foundation piecing?
    Old 10-03-2012, 03:21 PM

For a beginner you are starting with a way too hard pattern. It might discourage you from ever quilting again.
    Old 10-03-2012, 04:47 PM

I'm making a hexagon quilt with triangles attached to the sides of the hexagon, and it's sort of the same thing. The thing that you want to look for is to put the 2 triangles together so that the top and bottom fabric are even where you "enter" and "exit" the fabric (at the 1/4" seam line) with your sewing machine needle. Good luck....you can do it!!
    Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I also agree with slicksister and prism. It can be done but I think that it's going to be very discouraging for you as a new quilter. I've been quilting for 8 years and haven't even thought about doing a thousand pyramid quilt because of the triangles.
    I second this!! I think this project might be discouraging for you because of the triangle piecing, which isn't the easiest or most basic quilting technique. Four-patch, half square triangles, flying geese - these would be easier and less frustrating for you since it's your first quilt. Baby steps, baby steps..... Start simple and then you can try something more advanced in your next quilt.... JMHO, of course....
    Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Mari Makes
    Thanks for all of the tips, everyone! I've been thinking about trying something a little easier, but I'm determined to make this work. I'm anticipating lots of setbacks, but I've always been someone who enjoys overcoming challenges and I think that keeps me from feeling discouraged when I can't do something right away.

I cut out about 60 paper triangles and I'm practicing with them so I won't ruin any fabric. I've been laying the triangles on my ruler, placing the next one 1/4" below the point, and taping the opposite side in place (I'll use pins when I try this on fabric); it's much easier for me to do it this way than to make adjustments and keep re-measuring. The only problem I'm having now is that the paper isn't very flexible, so it's kind of hard to sew in some areas!

But so far, so good! I'll find some old clothing to cut up and practice with this weekend before I dive in!
    Great attitude..that alone will get you there..the best thing that can happen is you will love your quilt and the worst is you get stuck but you can always put it aside and come back to it later..looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM

I made my thousand pyramids with English paper piecing...like doing hexagons but only 3 sides to each unit...worked great!
    Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM

Mari Makes, you can do this! Far too much negativity here. There have also been some excellent suggestions for sewing the triangles. After you have made some practice seams on scrap fabric, you will understand how it works and be able to "eye" how the points should come together. When making strips, sew bias to bias. That leaves straight edges to join the long seams. Ever so easy. Have fun, I know you can do this.
    Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
    I fold the triangles in half along the side I'm going to sew. This gives me the center points to match up. I pin that spot, sew on the seam line and they come out fine.
    Great idea, Jan. Thanks!
    Old 10-05-2012, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
    I fold the triangles in half along the side I'm going to sew. This gives me the center points to match up. I pin that spot, sew on the seam line and they come out fine.
    Never thought of that - what a great tip!