Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • cleaning bobbin area question >
  • cleaning bobbin area question

• cleaning bobbin area question

Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Black & Decker makes a cordless vac called a FLEX---has a lot of suction---really light weight---have to use it a couple times and re-charge to get full power and lasting time---kind of expensive but really handy---I have this one in the house and a similar upright in the motorhome---have a longhaired black cat and daughter-in-law bought it for me---use it on the sewing machine-serger and computer keyboard and tower
    Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 AM

Amazon has a lot of vacuums made for computers.
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...puter%20vacuum
    Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Default cleaning bobbin area

Originally Posted by gollytwo
    Clotilde has a small vacuum for machines.
    I use the little brush that came with my machine and a tweezer to clean my bobbin areas.
    I keep a small shop vac plugged in under my sewing table. When ever I change my bobbin I give it a quick vac. Also have found that a small make up brush seems to clean out the bobbin area much better than the ones that come with the machine.
    Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I have this one. Works OK for the bobbin area
    http://www.crafttownhobbylandusa.com...hp?prod=NSP102
    Thank you for this information. I have been looking for a small vac for the bobbin area of my sewing machine.
    Old 10-08-2012, 05:18 PM

I do have a computerized machine, and the store people told me to use a Q-tip (no oil!) to clean the bobbin area. It also fits in the little nooks and crannies under and around the bobbin area. My goodness, the fuzz it gets! They did tell me not to use canned air - just blows it further into the machine. I occasionally use the vac with small attachments. I figure it's getting fuzz out even if I don't see it coming out.
    Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM

An easy way to clean the bobbin area is with qtips. If you know someone that works in a dentist office,they use extra long tips to administir meds in people mouths and they work great in the inside of the bobbin and feed dog area. I clean mine after every quilt and if I'm using flannel more often. It's amazing what the qtips remove. They are fairly cheap, $7-9 for a box of 1000. I have a small vacuum attachment and have never used it, I find the qtips work just fine.
    Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 PM

I've heard alot of pros and cons to the canned air...I still just buy a pack of long handled paint brushes, under 5:00
    and you'd be surprised how far you can reach and how much lint you get!! Never had any problems...even cleans
    the keyboard!
    Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Mentioned on the QB, (here) was to go the Harbor Freight and buy airbrush painting cleaning brushes, for $2.99. OMG, cheap and works very well for cleaning out the bobbin area. I have several different machines. The cleaning brushes are thin and can get into areas with out disturbing the electronics or the older machine mechanic. There are 5 different sizes, all small to fit into areas unimaginable.. and they do a great job at getting out the fuzz from your machine. Yes, I have the hoze attachements for the vaccum...and it is a drag to bring it out. But this little cheap tool works wonders when I am lazy and have getting the project done. Some on on this quilt board recomended it, and I could kiss her. Harbor Freight was my saviour....
    Old 10-09-2012, 02:06 AM

I bought the same one and I like how it works...also works well cleaning the extra lint from the dryer!
    Old 10-09-2012, 02:54 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

that's what I was told too, just as I was about to buy one of them for my keyboard and my machine. I've also been told about 30 times NEVER to use canned air to clean out a sewing machine, as it just pushes the dirt further in.