Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-27-2012, 05:53 PM

Laura,

I know that I said I needed to "find a project to use this fabric on".
    But don't jump to any conclusions, I didn't say I was going to actually sew.

Cathy

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura
    You know, no one ever says to a painter "gee you've got a lot of tubes of paint. why don't you just buy one color when you need it?" Likewise woodworkere, scrap bookers, mixed media people- they all have a stock of materials. I hearby declare that it is not a hoard, it's a PALATE and we need it to keep out creativity jucy. Wicked good score, by the way. Now you have to start sewing it up! Laura
    Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki
    I'm really surprised that the Singer Medium has such a small working space when the machine is so large. I have a Bradbury Medium which is almost the same. So I just went and took the measurement on it and it's working space is only 7 7/8" ( I would have lost that bet).
    I dug out my Singer 12 and it's measurement is 6 1/8".

Anyone else have a machine we haven't listed?

Cathy
    Two more. The 115 is also 6 7/8" and the New Home CZ (which is probably the same as the Anker RZ) is 6 3/4".

I suppose I could measure the Willcox & Gibbs . We have some German hand crank machines as well but I have figured out model numbers on them yet so the measurements wouldn't mean much.
    Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 PM

Welcome to the friendliest board on the 'net! No matter what your question, you will find someone on here who knows the right answer. Most of us are addicts who don't want to be cured. LOL! We have more than a few vintage machines and love them. You really can't have one or two! I've got a 1925 66 treadle, a 1907 27 treadle, and a 1951 15 electric, as well as an assortment of other things! I love and use them all for different things. DH always asks what I plan on doing with each one I bring home. He always gets the same answer--sew, of course. It is an addiction and we are all enablers. Enjoy your time here!
    Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 PM

Thanks for all those measurements! I have added them to my list.

Cathy

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH
    Two more. The 115 is also 6 7/8" and the New Home CZ (which is probably the same as the Anker RZ) is 6 3/4".

I suppose I could measure the Willcox & Gibbs . We have some German hand crank machines as well but I have figured out model numbers on them yet so the measurements wouldn't mean much.
    Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 PM

Hi, I have a question, will the spoked hand wheel from a 128 fit a 99k?
    Thank you,
    Anamaria
    Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 PM

Anamaria,

Yes, it will.

Cathy

Originally Posted by grayhare
    Hi, I have a question, will the spoked hand wheel from a 128 fit a 99k?
    Thank you,
    Anamaria
    Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 PM

Cathy, Thank you.

Anamaria
    Old 10-27-2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki
    Joe,

I laid a ruler on the bed, butting the end against the arm on the right. I lowered the needle and took between the measurement where the needle hit the ruler. I did round it off a little if the needle hit between the 1/8 " marks.
    Post any measurements that you get so I can add to the list.

Cathy
    Cathy,

I've added pinkCastleDH's measurements and as soon as I get some done I'll post them.

Joe
    Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 AM

[QUOTE=Mizkaki;5617263]Laura,

I know that I said I needed to "find a project to use this fabric on".
    But don't jump to any conclusions, I didn't say I was going to actually sew. [quote]

Ah come on Cathy, you can find a nice project to work on at the next "Girls Night Out!" Everyone, our local TOGA/sewing machine repair guru joined us at our last "Girls Night Out!" We are trying to get her hooked on coming once a month! Now she has the fabric to make a darling quilt, or tote, or purse, something! No excuses not to come and sew Cathy! We all know you won't have a problem finding a machine to bring!
    Old 10-28-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone
    Nancy, it is 5-737-346. It was purchased new on Oct 11, 1957 in Palatine, Il. It came with a lot of paperwork on it but it has an owners manual for a 230 and a manual that is for models 332-260. I guess they may not have one specific for the 229. (?) Do you have a good source for a size wheel for the Pfaff?
    I had to purchase a stitch wheel for my Pfaff 260 off of e-bay. Those wheels are very hard to find and a little pricey when you do find one, but if you can find one reasonably priced - I'd get it! Or you could just find a second Pfaff that comes with a stitch wheel. I now have two stitch wheels, but they are different! The stitch wheel I purchased for my 260, which is a 1961 machine, is not the same as the stitch wheel that came with my 230, which is a 1958 machine!

Nancy