Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride >
  • Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride

• Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride

Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM

OK, on a side note did y'all know that Alexander Henry main office and showroom is just a few blocks from me...well ok, 12 blocks.......and I have yet to go there....I understand that you can buy end of those big cardbord spools that they wind the bolts from for kinda cheap like by the pound.....so I will try to get over my shy self and go there and take pictures and stuff...I might be able to talk myself into this if i can convince myself it would be for the good of the group 'train buddies'......just thinking as i'm sewing.
    Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 PM

Oh my woman! What's the matter with you? All that new fabric, new colors, new designs. I'd be in heaven, it would be on my weekly agenda to go shop. Pound here, pound there, pound pound everywhere.....you even have my heart pounding a mile a minute here!!!
    Old 11-03-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaba
    Oh my woman! What's the matter with you? All that new fabric, new colors, new designs. I'd be in heaven, it would be on my weekly agenda to go shop. Pound here, pound there, pound pound everywhere.....you even have my heart pounding a mile a minute here!!!
    Ditto here Jaba. I never considered counting stash by the pound instead of the yard. Don't know which method would be the most revealing.
    Old 11-03-2012, 02:07 PM

Okay, here's what I came up with. I took fabric A and the piece from E&F that contrasted the most with A, constructed nine-patches with those two fabrics with the E/F fabric in the center and on the outside corners. Then I took fabric C (which is supposed to be the darker fabric) and made nine-patches with the other fabric from E/F, with the E/F fabric in the center.

Don't worry about having enough fabric. I had plenty and had even cut some blocks wrong.

You will be cutting 12 2-1/2" pieces from the longer strip combo and 6 2-1/2" pieces from the shorter one.
    Here's what finished 9-patches look like. I decided to change my red fabric out as it didn't have enough pizzazz.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374159[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery9patch.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	374159  
    Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by labeelady
    Okay, here's what I came up with. I took fabric A and the piece from E&F that contrasted the most with A, constructed nine-patches with those two fabrics with the E/F fabric in the center and on the outside corners. Then I took fabric C (which is supposed to be the darker fabric) and made nine-patches with the other fabric from E/F, with the E/F fabric in the center.

Don't worry about having enough fabric. I had plenty and had even cut some blocks wrong.

You will be cutting 12 2-1/2" pieces from the longer strip combo and 6 2-1/2" pieces from the shorter one.
    Here's what finished 9-patches look like. I decided to change my red fabric out as it didn't have enough pizzazz.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374159[/ATTACH]
    Wow, those are beautiful.
    Old 11-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Default Moment of truth

I had ordered the ginger dotted fabric for "D" (first photo) and while waiting for it to arrive I found the teal fabric at my LQS (second photo) and decided to go with that. Then the ginger fabric was delivered and I think I might like it better. What do you think? I have enough of C to redo Clue #3.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374181[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]374182[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	QB Mystery Fabric2.jpg
Views:	1512
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	374181   Click image for larger version

Name:	QB Mystery Fabric3.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	374182  
    Old 11-03-2012, 03:00 PM

I am liking the ginger dot fabric. More so than the teal.
    Old 11-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by pbadder
    I cut my strips 2-1/2" wof, than I put strips together as noted in instructions. But when I sew my nine patch I get height 6-1/2" but my width is only 6". I checked all my seams and they are exactly 1/4". And yes when I cut off the sewn together strips in 2-1/2" pieces. I only put one block together and have the others cut and ready to sew for 9 patches. Do I need to cut all over again. Need help please as what to do?
    That tends to happen to me when I make nine patches for some strange reason. The 3 strips sewn together are exactly 6-1/2" but the cut strips when sewn "lose" a 1/4". I've learned to compensate by cutting the already sewn strips with an extra 1/8" edge. Since your are all cut, how about trying to sew a scant-scant 1/4"? On my machine, I use two clicks to the right for regular scant 1/4", and 3 clicks for a scant-scant. And when you press them, pull on them a bit to get those seams extra flat.
    Old 11-03-2012, 03:07 PM

I agree with Caroline. The ginger dots have it. :-)
    Old 11-03-2012, 03:08 PM

Dotty - that is wonderful, what you are doing. Hope you are able to stay warm and keep safe.

Caroline S - I worry about the 2 oranges being so close in color. Love the John Henry fabric, in fact love all his crazy prints.

pbadder - I'm stumped as to what went wrong. 2-1/2" strips sewn together then cut to 2-1/2" segments have to come out at 6-1/2". Are you sure your WOF peices were cut to 2-1/2"? Any suggestions for pbadder from the club car? Did you iron from the right side to make sure you didn't have any little pucker that would decresed your width?

labeelady - those blocks are beautiful -- and now you see why I said some of you may want to change your fabrics.

katybob - both are very nice combos, do which ever you like best!