Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric-Use-Phobia >
  • Fabric-Use-Phobia

• Fabric-Use-Phobia

Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 AM
    Power Poster

yes, i have several fabrics that i'm waiting for the right special project that may never come along
    Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 AM
    Power Poster

Go to your stash and while looking at it say to yourself...."who do I want to give this fabric too?" Sound crazy that you would give your fabric away for someone else to have the joy of cutting it up and using it in their quilt doesn't it?
    When my best friend died, I vowed to myself to cut into all my fabric because I wasn't going to leave a large stash for others to acquire. The old saying..."the person who dies with the most fabric wins!" is not accurate. The person who dies with the most unused, uncut beautiful fabric loses!!!!
    Old 11-21-2012, 04:56 AM
    Power Poster

YES! My phobia involves beautiful prints that I dearly love but can't find a pattern "good enough" for them. I use to and still do to some degree feel the same about my batiks. But at least with batiks there are more available unless it's got a pattern that might not be produced again.
    Old 11-21-2012, 05:00 AM
    Banned

I have geometric patterned Japanese (as opposed to pictorial) that I finally came to realize I'd never cut. There are 4 or 5 of them and I alternate hanging them on the walls of my quilt room so I can see and admire them.
    Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 AM
    Power Poster

OKAY, my solution isn't going to help your stash get smaller or your pocketbook, but I finally figured out a way that let me actually use really cool fabric that I normally could not bring myself to cut, because then it would be gone. For some reason, most of the time when I pull something from my stash, I use a yard or less. So now I buy extra. I used to buy a yard of fabric, but this year I started buying a yard and a half. Seems to do the trick because now I know I'll have a bit of the fabric left over. The other thing is that this gives you the opportunity to cut 40" strips LOF or WOF so you get the best use of the fabric design.
    My sister sent me this quote: "I'm one yard away from an episode of Horders"
    Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 AM

I have one fabric I love in that way. I have a bunch of fabrics that match it, plus a coordinating print. Whenever I see it, I want to buy more, just in case I ever use it so I won't run out. It's time to get a grip, I think!
    Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 AM
    Power Poster

It's much easier for me to cut up scraps than to cut into a long piece of fabric.
    Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 AM
    Power Poster

I consider myself a FABRIHOLIC! do they have meetings for this?
    Oh, quilting guilds! Unfortunately, I'm not sure this ACTUALLY helps you overcome your addictions....it, rather, feeds it so that it, and your fabric stash, grows!!!!
    Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM

When I began on this site I vowed I would never be one of THOSE that bought material with no idea of a pattern.
    Well, I bow my head low and apoligize. I do buy material that goes together in a quilt. Now to find a pattern.
    I have 4 batches of material that I too am still looking for that perfect quilt. I have found a pattern I liked and with that in mind have looked at material. But my stash is growing along with my admiration for all you quilters.
    Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by grammysharon
    I suffer from the same ailment!!!! I think I am going to use my stash but it seems everytime I want to make a quilt I have to make a run to the fabric shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Me too - I go to the fabric store everytime I start a new project!