Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • School of Fish (I think)  Need help finding pattern >
  • School of Fish (I think) Need help finding pattern

• School of Fish (I think) Need help finding pattern

Old 12-09-2012, 02:50 PM

Default School of Fish (I think) Need help finding pattern

I made this quilt for my 2 yr old DGS (he is now almost 10). He has slept with this quilt every night since I gave it to him even taking it on trips. The pattern was in a quilting magazine around 2005. I don't know which magazine and I no longer have it. If anyone knows where I can find the pattern, please let me know. I thought it was named "School of Fish" but have not been able to locate it. Thanks in advance for just looking. Sharon
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DT#4 002.jpg
Views:	2765
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	381161  
    Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Great quilt!! I don't know where the pattern is though sorry
    Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM
    Power Poster

Really cute. The pattern should be pretty easy, it looks like 1/2 snowball blocks, where the corner triangles are on the small side, like 4" finished squares and 1" finished triangles, with careful fabric placement.
    Here's one of many snowball tutorials on the internet. your quilt just has 2 triangles in opposite corners.
    http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...us_quilt_3.htm
    Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM

these look like the same fish in the center of the quilt .. scroll down to post #4 where the author of the patten replied. it's an old post from 2010 ... hope the references are still good.

http://think-quilts.com/2009/04/22/fish-fish-shark/

And another pattern .... looks like she got it from November 2003 "The quilter" magazine.

http://piraterodgers.com/quilting/20...l-of-SLO-fish/

There is a close up of the pattern at the bottom of the second link ... looks easy enough to figure out.
    Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt
    I made this quilt for my 2 yr old DGS (he is now almost 10). He has slept with this quilt every night since I gave it to him even taking it on trips. The pattern was in a quilting magazine around 2005. I don't know which magazine and I no longer have it. If anyone knows where I can find the pattern, please let me know. I thought it was named "School of Fish" but have not been able to locate it. Thanks in advance for just looking. Sharon
    The only place I found this pattern is http://piraterodgers.com/quilting/20...l-of-SLO-fish/ it is called "A School of SLO fish". There is no pattern attached but in the article he says, "Providence seems to step in at the right moment in time ... the November 2003 issue of "The Quilter Magazine" had the PERFECT quilt for me to make with the swap fabric. On page 80, there is a quilt titled, "Charm School" and is made up of tessellating fish, all going in the same direction, so it looks like a school of fish".

So there is the magazine and date. Hope it helps.

kantuckee
    Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM
    Power Poster

here is a recent posting of the 'school of fish'... the poster said he didn't have a pattern
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t206770.html
    Old 12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
    Power Poster

this is not the pattern you are looking for... but if someone wants another fish pattern, there is a free one here http://www.clothworkstextiles.com/pa...oad.asp?ID=392
    Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 PM
    Power Poster

Really cute, sorry I can not help with pattern!
    Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt

I just saw your post as I was looking for the same pattern. I made the quilt, from a magazine, in 2003 and still have the quilt. I don't quilt much anymore but decided to make the quilt again for my niece, who is expecting in late June. As I recall, the pattern was called Charm School and was in Quilter's Magazine. I moved almost 2 years ago, and although I thought I had kept patterns that I had made, I cannot find it and gave my magazines to a quilt shop. Have you located the pattern yet? I think I'm going to just measure the blocks that are in mine and figure it out. I know that you cut 2 squares in like colors and 1 square cut in quarters (I think). Then you figure out the color placement and sew the sm. squares in the correct corners, trim and then sew together in strips. Could you add anything more?

Last edited by jmcret05; 03-20-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 PM

I have the magazine with this pattern. It was called "Charm School" and was in the November 2003 issue of The Quilter Magazine. I'd be happy to send a copy if you PM me your email address.