Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hexies - how do you... >
  • Hexies - how do you...

• Hexies - how do you...

Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Default Hexies - how do you...

put them together? Do you make up one flower and add the path around it or do you make all the flowers then decide on where to place them and then make the paths?

In what order do you attach? How do you handle it when it gets too big to carry around?

Need your thoughts. Do you make a gazillion individual hexies then start putting the flowers together?
    Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 AM
    Power Poster

I'm a neophyte for GFGs ... so you can take it for what it's worth.

It depends what mood I am in and where I am doing it whether I make a bunch of hexies ahead and join them or join as I go.

For mine I have only been using three fabrics, so there wasn't much deciding. Just had to be careful to put the right colour in the right spot.

And ... as simple as that was ... I still managed to put a flower in the wrong spot. To remove the whip stitching was next to impossible. (Listen to me about this part ... be sure you have them in the right place before stitching!!)

What started to be just a small table topper as a GFG trial run ...
    ... by necessity, grew to be a larger table topper.
    Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 AM

I'm using the Inklingo method for mine. I've cut bunches of centers (all shades of yellows) and sets for dozens of flowers. I have them in a coupon folder so I can take them with them. I sew each flower individually and then leave the completed flowers at home.
    Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM

Hexies are very in right now - Guess I need to find my project from years ago and do something with it!! You're giving me the bug.
    Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 AM
    Power Poster

I think any of the way you said would work -

I think it might be a good plan to have some idea of what you were planning to do with them before starting to put them together - there are other layouts besides the GFG layout - that are kind of interesting.

If I was doing various flowers from scraps, I would do the flowers first and then lay them out.
    Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM

I am working on a 3 color GFG now, and I am using the hexie-as-you-go method. LOL. I make 1 flower at a time and sew it into the bigger quilt top. I make enough hexies for 1 flower and then sew the flower together. If it was a scrappy look, it would be better to make a few flowers and then plan out the positioning of them before sewing together on the paths.
    Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM
    Power Poster

search for Grandmothers flower garden and hexagons. there are tons of tutorials out there and probably here too. I did individual or framed hex's and made a whole quilt with them. did them in rows and sewed the rows together by hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	floral hexagon 2.jpg
Views:	1802
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	412070  
    Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM

My GFG quilts are scrappy. I made a WHOLE BUNCH of flowers, then put them to gether with green path. Did npt use the traditional layout however. I am working on a hexie quilt now only making diamonds instead of flowers. Did the same way. Made lots of diamonds then whipped stitched them together after I deceided on the layout. I am making half diamonds now to finish up the sides. Need to make one more!! I'm getting there!! I didn't carry anything around once I started putting them together.
    Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM

I am doing the American flag. If you get the hex paper, 8-1/2 x 11, you can draw and color in the design you want.
    I made the "stars" as stars on a blue background fabric, fussy cutting each one out. Then I made the red and white
    strips. I want to frame this one. I plan to demo this method at our quilt show this coming Aug. 8-9-10, 2013 which
    will be held at the School for the Blind in Newark, DE. If you want more info, just email me.
    Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM

I started a GFG about 11 years ago - it has over 2000 hexes in it so it's taken a lot of time. I usually only work on it while traveling or used to sew on it at my daughters horse shows. Mine is made of us individual blocks then put together with a cream sash then a dark green joining them together. I will post a couple photos that shows what one block looks like. Each block features the same yellow center and green for leaves. The blocks each have a different fabric for the flowers.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg
Views:	1650
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	412139