Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For an 8 year old >
  • For an 8 year old

• For an 8 year old

Old 01-27-2015, 03:11 PM

Default For an 8 year old

who is interested in learning to sew, what basic and inexpensive sewing machine would you recommend? I want one with reverse stitch and zig zag and a light. Used is fine. Thank you!
    Old 01-27-2015, 03:16 PM
    Power Poster

Got my niece a Janome for about $50.00. New at Hancocks. Has all you want.
    Old 01-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Brother CS6000i. Easy to learn! Very good machine for the money. Do a search here on the QB for comments and on Google for ratings. Available at Amazon and WalMart.
    Old 01-27-2015, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts
    who is interested in learning to sew, what basic and inexpensive sewing machine would you recommend? I want one with reverse stitch and zig zag and a light. Used is fine. Thank you!
    I bought a Brother at Wallyworld for $159. Has needle down, Feed dogs down and lots of different stiches. Works a lot bettter than my $600. Singer.
    Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 PM

Some folks recommend the Janome Mini Sew ($59). Weighs 5 lbs. Has straight, zigzag and reverse. All plastic machine, so that maybe a draw back. Some folks love this machine, others think it's junk. Haven't used one, just saw reviews of it. Thinking I might buy one (http://www.HomeDepot.com) to use for taking to classes. People think this is a good machine for kids to learn on.
    Old 01-27-2015, 05:47 PM
    Power Poster

I bought my 8 year old granddaughter the Janome 11706 3/4 Size Hello Kitty Sewing Machine. She is 17 now and the machine is still sewing like new. She saw the machine and fell in love with it. I know that machine kept her interested wanting to sew. I think I paid about $200 for it.
    Old 01-27-2015, 06:39 PM

Thanks everyone, this is for my granddaughter. She will be spending part of spring break with me so I thought I'd better get busy. I've been looking mainly at Janome's but would not rule out any other brand. I don't know if this will 'stick' but I want to give her every chance not to be frustrated and give up before she gets going!
    Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 PM

My 9 yo granddaughter loves my Janome DC1050 because it has the speed regulator and the auto start/stop button. She's getting taller now and should be able to use the foot pedal soon. It also has a few decorative stitches. I paid about 300.00 for it to use as my travel machine.
    Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 PM

My nephews unpacked and threaded up then began sewing on the brother quilter. This was my new machine and while I was preparing food they did all this on their own. They also helped to make the blocks join and sandwich and finally walking foot quilting.
    They were 10 and 4 . I only reduced speed for them, they did manage to break a needle and it was then with help from my brother they changed it.
    they are very practical boys and had listened carefully when the dealer gave me a demonstration of my machine.
    Old 01-27-2015, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts
    I'd look on Craigslist and shopgoodwill and look for a simple machine that's 25-30 years old. As simple as possible. You can probably pick one up for $25. Use that to start. If you do good, she/he may keep it for ages. Most machines that age will have a zigzag, reverse and light