Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Men who quilt >
  • Men who quilt

• Men who quilt

Old 02-15-2015, 04:54 PM

I too quilt. I make them for people who have to take chemo. They just can't get warm. I have been quilting since 2014 when I became disabled. We had a box of quilt tools and a book of instructions on how to quilt, we had won from a 4H raffle many years ago. So I started out making double bed size quilts. On my fourth one now.
    Old 02-15-2015, 05:20 PM

Here is a link to another male quilter. The quilt group I belong to has 2 men who quilt and long arm!!
    http://www.robappell.com/
    Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 PM

Tell him about John Flynn. He is an engineer(don't remember which), has invented quilting devices, a successful business, great designs, and his daughter works with him.
    Old 02-15-2015, 06:50 PM

Have him check out Rob Appell "Man Sewing" on YouTube, Rosie Greer, a well known professional football player was also known for dealing with the stress of pro ball with needlework, he authored a book on it, and although not famous, my Uncle, a WW2 vet sewed my aunt the most beautiful suits, dresses, blouses, pants and even coats- she was by far the best dressed person in our family!
    Old 02-15-2015, 07:26 PM

If you have a Facebook account, there's a very active men only page called Men Who Quilt:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/258973840932178/

The creativity and quality of work is eye-opening.
    Old 02-16-2015, 12:01 AM

There are many Husband /Wife quilting teams on this board also. Many of these men started out with the same views as your hubby. Besides , many big buff married sports figures quilt, sew , embroider. I wouldn't dare to think of them as less than manly.
    Old 02-16-2015, 04:19 AM

Jamie Wallen on youtube not only uses a long arm but is a great teacher. How about Ricky Tims? He even sings! You tube him to!
    Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 AM

WELCOME FROM MANITOBA-Why care what others say.. Men quilters are out there, some fix sew machines, some quilt, one is a Cook/chef and joined quilt.. MY FATHER knew how to sew/knit. Made his own socks, quilt from recycled fabric. If you look at tutorials, on Missouri star quilt site, they teach to make totes, and quilt. Then, some organize bus tours, for quilters.

Wait till you enter a quilt shop, imagine all those colors and prints to choose from, not to mention the women.. Other, men will envy you.. GO FOR IT!
    Old 02-16-2015, 04:54 AM

Check out the works of Luke Haynes.
    Old 02-16-2015, 07:01 AM

This is a seriously tragic posting to read and now 20 pages long. If we are to extrapolate this thinking about gay and being artistically creative, in this case quilting or not, are we to assume that the first men to do cave paintings got laughed at because of their presumed sexual orientation. Look if the guy thinks the minute he places his first piece of fabric under a sewing machine he will become attracted to men...then maybe he is right to avoid quilting. It saddens me that we male quilters feel compelled to justify what we like doing, in this case quilting, by mentioning our previously "male"occupations, by the number of children we have fathered or some other ridiculous macho litmus test. Perhaps it is time that we have a place on this board where men can post what they have creatively sewn and members can either praise or offer suggestions for improvement and we can possibly move beyond this prejudicial thinking...or is the first quilt to be shown there, that include pink or lavender, going to raise eyebrows and people are to think...he is one of "them" forever? I recently made my avatar and with all those colors I guess one could assume schizophrenia...if they so wished.