Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • You know you're addicted to sewing when... >
  • You know you're addicted to sewing when...

• You know you're addicted to sewing when...

Old 08-17-2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
    This made me laugh - San Diego has been having record heat temperatures this week, I have been seriously considering an air conditioner for my sewing room. There are fans in the room, but it blows the thread and fabric around, an air conditioner wouldn't do that. My family just shakes their head at the idea, but it makes sense doesn't it?
    Oh HECK YES it does!!! I can't believe you let your stash get so hot
    Old 08-17-2015, 08:21 PM

My window a/c was $120, easy to install by myself, and worth every penny. DH complained about it running when I'm not in there, so our compromise is I set it at whatever temp I want when I'm in there, and when I'm done for the night I set it to 78 degrees so it doesn't run as much.
    Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 PM

I'm doing a set of blocks a month to make a delft quilt by Liz Hands. I drive roughly 21/2 hours each way once a month. Will take a year and half to finish the quilt. I just wanted to do something different.
    Old 08-18-2015, 02:11 AM

Agreed to tag along with my DH on a business trip to Amsterdam because I discovered a quilt shop I wanted to visit. Purchased the Little Amsterdam pattern with some fabrics and have been collecting blues from all other shops I've visited since then. That was in 2011. Time to make the quilt!
    I'm also constantly daydreaming about purchasing a new machine and all the fun we could have together...
    Old 08-18-2015, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma

...your husband is out of town for a week, and missing him is balanced by gleefully realizing nobody will stop you from spending your entire evening in the sewing room, every evening, all week long.
    And most of that time is staying "dressed in your jammies"
    Old 08-18-2015, 03:41 AM

Addicted! Maybe. Whenever we go anywhere by car I take my machine. If we are flying somewhere I take some cutting project with me. Going to Hawaii, I took my iphone loaded with books. My husband is very good about quilt shop hopping with me or going out of our way to visit a quilt shop or fabric store that we heard about in our travels. Hoping to travel by car to Arizona next winter and a must top will be MQSC.
    Old 08-18-2015, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Why discuss with family about your sewing room. Go get a window unit. The new units now are super easy to install, just plug it in.
    There are also ACs that roll from room to room...wherever needed. You might ask about those. We had one in Seattle and used it in the living room during the day and in the BR at night.
    Old 08-18-2015, 04:21 AM

Have you checked the route in that 11 hr drive? I would hate for you to miss some quilt shops along the way and you should stretch your legs!
    Old 08-18-2015, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad
    I don't take my machine with me on trips (the few I take) but I usually carry a handwork project-- appliqué or English Paper Piecing. Easy to carry and satisfying. Or some knitting-- I knit a lot of socks for 18" dolls.
    Me too, as most of our vacations are to family or with family. I take embroidery or knitting, but try and get DH to stop at least once for a quilt shop. Once is about his limit.
    Old 08-18-2015, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    I agree. You can visit the different shops and take photos for ideas when you get back. If you really feel the need just buy a little beginner at Walmart for less than a $100.00 that you can fit in your carryon.
    I bought the little 5pound Janome 124 for $50 and really do not enjoy sewing on it. I'd like to give it away. The only thing this is good for, IMHO, is for someone who has no other machine, to use for emergency repair work.

Our family goes on a 4 day camping trip every year. My daughter asked if I was taking my sewing machine along. I said, "Of course." I thought she had a small job for me. No, she just wanted to laugh at me for bringing my sewing machine camping. I did sew a few times though. (on my Featherweight)