Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using Metallic Thread? >
  • Using Metallic Thread?

• Using Metallic Thread?

Old 10-24-2015, 02:26 AM
    Power Poster

When I bought metallic thread the lady at the quilt shop suggested Sewers Aid. I used it and a 90/14 needle. I had no trouble and a lot of fun sewing my design.
    Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 AM

Some metallic thread just doesn't work well. I have had very good luck with Yenmet, using it in both my quilting and in a high speed multi-needle embroidery machine (which rally stresses thread!). I am surprised you are having trouble with the Superior metallic because it gets good reviews. In quilting I used a 90/14 needle with a prewound poly bobbin thread. It did take some fussing with the tension, loosening the top more than a "regular " thread, but it sounds like you have that done. Since it only breaks after sewing a bit, is it possible that the thread is getting hung up somewhere? I never found a need to put the thread in a pail, just put it on the spool like other threads. I am thinking it gets caught somehow in your pail.Pam
    Old 10-24-2015, 07:36 AM

You say you've lowered the tension. I would suggest you keep lowering it until it is way too loose then tighten slightly. That's what I had to do to sew with metallic thread(it was Superior also). I was surprised how much I had to lower the tension to make it work. Also, I think I sewed slower than I normally do and that helped.
    Old 10-24-2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by selm
    You say you've lowered the tension. I would suggest you keep lowering it until it is way too loose then tighten slightly. That's what I had to do to sew with metallic thread(it was Superior also). I was surprised how much I had to lower the tension to make it work. Also, I think I sewed slower than I normally do and that helped.
    I have done all of the above, and then some. I am going to contact Superior threads on Mon. and see just
    what I am doing, or not doing. I appreciate all the help from you all, and they were all such excellent tips.
    Thanks,
    Elaine
    Old 10-24-2015, 01:02 PM

I don't know what your design is, but, I will sometimes sew with the metallic thread in the bobbin... obviously, you quilt from the back, rather than the front. I never have problems with the thread when I do this.
    Old 10-24-2015, 03:12 PM

A lot depends on the brand of thread you buy too. King Star metallics have worked the best for me. The other thing that really help...and I know this sounds crazy but....thread the metallic through one of those styrofoam type popcorn packing pieces. I just thread a needle and push it through one piece of popcorn. Then thread your machine. I have my popcorn piece just before the thread enters the very first thread guide before going into the tension disks. I learned to do this from the Martha Pullen Board.

If I'm not using King Star thread, I also use Sewers Aid. Also, use your regular bobbin thread in the bobbin.
    Old 10-24-2015, 06:02 PM

I adore Superior's metallic thread, but I only use them on my longarm with a 19 or 20 needle (I usually use a 16). If the thread is on a spool, it is meant to come off of it from a horizontal position, if it is a cone, then it needs to be standing upright...something to do with the way the thread is put on the spool vs. a cone.
    Old 10-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Elaine, I'm so thankful you posted this thread as I will be using metallic thread for the 1st time in the very near future. I'm sure your post and the advise you received from the experts has saved me a lot of anguish.
    Old 10-25-2015, 05:41 AM

The only other suggestion I have is to put the thread on the floor, (in the pail) then run the thread up to a guide behind the machine then to the machine and thread.....with or without the last thread guide. Please let us know if superior has any other suggestions.
    Old 10-25-2015, 08:33 AM

I agree with those who've suggested Sewer's Aid. My Bernina machine even has a little holder for it, or you can just put a few drops around the spool before you thread your machine. It's amazing ... like Thread Heaven for machine quilting.