Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • De Luxe Zigzagger attachment inquiry >
  • De Luxe Zigzagger attachment inquiry

• De Luxe Zigzagger attachment inquiry

Old 02-10-2017, 09:40 AM

Default De Luxe Zigzagger attachment inquiry

I am curious. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this attachment. I do lots of sewing on a singer 66 treadle and was wondering how well these work. I love to tinker and try the old ways. Was thinking of some simple applique on the treadle.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:38 PM

I have one of those, with out the box and user manual. I can let you know it works, it does a good job on sturdier fabrics (finer fabrics needs stabiliser). It only does a simple zigzag, I think the screw in the back is for adjusting stitch width (if I remember correctly). I'm guessing the black Greist / Singer attachment with a few built in stitches might be better. I started with the simple one like the picture you have embedded. Then bought the large black zigzagger with red cams shaped like knobs; it works but hard to zigzag along edges of fabrics, applique should be less of a problem since it's on a piece of fabric. I found it too cumbersome, but I am used to swing arm models and have two to choose from. Now I have the Swiss zigzagger, it's probably the best of them, but still; if you want a denser satin type stitch get a swing arm machine. If you ever should feel tempted don't pay too much for the Swiss zigzagger unless you have the money to spend, it's not that big a deal.

To get a good stitch with these it's all about good quality thread, a good match between needle and thread, as well as tension. I can let you know my old Elna Supermatic is much easier to work with, but only for zigzag and fancy stitches. My main machine is a flatbed 201, much like your 66. It took me a while before I got the hang of these zigzaggers, to guide the fabric along a straight even line you have to watch the needle and forget about using the foot as a point of referance. It's part of the difficulty, but it's well within what you pick up with a bit of test sewing.

Last edited by Mickey2; 02-11-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    Old 02-13-2017, 04:44 AM
    Power Poster

I have one, too. I may need to visit it soon.
    Old 02-13-2017, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info. Think I'll save my money and forget it. I think I'll stick to a multi stitch machine for my applique. Happy sewing!