Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How long does it take to make a quilt? >
  • How long does it take to make a quilt?

• How long does it take to make a quilt?

Old 01-07-2018, 01:07 AM

I only kept track of my time on one quilt I made as a wedding gift --a king sized sampler that had dozens of flowers appliqued onto it. At the time, I could not afford to send it out to be long-armed, so I quilted it by hand. In the end, I spent over 500 hours on it.

After that, I decided to never again keep track of the time I spend quilting, and instead just enjoy the process.
    Old 01-07-2018, 01:50 PM

It's worth making the effort to document your time because you will most likely underestimate otherwise. You are used to thinking of it as something you do for fun, and the time goes quickly when you're not looking. When I was in a guild we were also required to keep track of our time because to be designated as a charitable organization they have to be able to document what the contributions are. If you don't report accurately, you are giving the group less credit than they deserve. It was a difficult habit to form, but keep a note paper taped over the power switch and a pen next to your machine and write down the time when you power up and power off. Put another notepad by the cutting table - you can consolidate the notes later. Time spent shopping you might be able to track by looking at the time on your receipt, if you know when you got to the store. Cutting and so on are all a valuable part of your donation and deserve to be noted. If you use a smartphone, you can keep notes on it, and use the stopwatch function so that you can pause it while you answer the phone or have lunch or whatever. Or set the countdown timer to 1 hour, jot down a tick mark when it goes off and start it over after you take a bit of a break.
    Old 01-28-2018, 05:27 PM

My wife has been working on a quilt for me over 45 years, it is going to be nice when she gets it done lol.
    Being it has taken so long I started making my own quilts now and I have made 2 Twin size and working on a King now.
    Logging time on a quilt to me is like asking how long do you fish for when you go fishing?
    Old 01-28-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by mengler
    It depends how long you leave it stuffed in the closet ��
    There is that.... snicker
    Old 01-28-2018, 07:03 PM

My quilts timing is when I finish it...lol...our time. Cannot be priced by money but love of our craft......but you will figure it out......don't underestimate .....hugs