Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Church raffle quilt suggestions >
  • Church raffle quilt suggestions

• Church raffle quilt suggestions

Old 11-08-2018, 04:00 AM

I would be hesitant to have everyone use their own stash - because of both quality and color. A really simple pattern with a fudge factor is very important - not everyone’s good enough is good enough.
    Old 11-08-2018, 04:10 AM

You could have a star block alternating with an easier block like 4-patch or railroad. That way the more experienced could do the stars with points. I would also suggest making sure they use 100% cotton.
    Old 11-08-2018, 05:15 AM

My church group made a red, white and blue rail fence that sold well at a silent auction. It’s an easy pattern for beginners. May I suggest pooling your money to buy fabric? Craftsy has a great deal today on their split rail liberty song kit.
    Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM

Don't want to discourage your plans but our church has very strict rules to follow from the State of Indiana regarding raffles because they consider it gambling and we have to pay for a licence. Just might want to check before getting too far in. We hate it but we follow their rules.��
    Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM

Years ago I took a quilt class with 2 alternating blocks. One was a paper pieced star and the other was a 9 patch. I was a beginner and it was easy enough for me. Lots of fudge factor also.
    Old 11-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by emcay
    Don't want to discourage your plans but our church has very strict rules to follow from the State of Indiana regarding raffles because they consider it gambling and we have to pay for a licence. Just might want to check before getting too far in. We hate it but we follow their rules.��
    We have some rules about that here that my DAR chapter got around by not selling "tickets" they sold "voices". They sure looked like tickets to me But it seemed to keep us out of trouble.
    Old 11-08-2018, 04:24 PM

Don't make a bed size quilt. Make up to a twin size or throw size. When you get into bed sizes, people will not purchase because they don't have a double, queen or king. Or it doesn't go with their color scheme of their bedroom. If you do a scrappy, all color throw, it can be folded over a couch or across the foot of a bed in a bright pop of color. Ours are often Florida colors. My church group was into making bed size quilts when I joined them. What a pain that was. They were too huge, hard to handle and people wanted them for about $50. We don't raffle them but sell items at a craft fair.
    Old 11-08-2018, 06:00 PM

Who will be buying the tickets? If it is a fundraiser for the school, are you expecting parents to buy tickets? If so, something with school colors or mascot might be appealing. If the school is for young children, then involvement of the children is an idea. Either artwork or hand prints (2 handprints can make a heart shape) alternating with simple blocks might draw support from parents who would like to have the quilt for the child to remember friends by.