Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Crazy quilt question >
  • Crazy quilt question

• Crazy quilt question

Old 08-07-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Crazy quilt question

I just finished the top, it's pinned to batting and backing and now I want to tie it from the back. I think the tails of the knots would be too much if I tied the front. How do i do it from the back? Yes, I'm a newbie...
    Old 08-07-2020, 12:24 PM

I tied a Trip Around the World with the knots on the back. Because I wanted to tie at intersections, I put a pin in the front where I wanted a tie. Turned it over and tied from the back. I like the smooth look.
    Old 08-07-2020, 01:36 PM

You can also bury the ends under the fabric for an inch or so and the pull slightly and cut with a slightly less than 1" end and the end will go into the batting where it usually stays.
    Old 08-07-2020, 05:18 PM

I've never heard of this or seen this ever! Thanks teaching me something new. I'm going to try it soon!
    Old 08-07-2020, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    You can also bury the ends under the fabric for an inch or so and the pull slightly and cut with a slightly less than 1" end and the end will go into the batting where it usually stays.
    That's a great idea. I've never heard of anyone burying the ends of a tied quilt. I think I would like that a lot. Thanks for the idea.
    Old 08-08-2020, 03:01 AM

Thanks for this suggestion, as I have wanted to tie a quilt but didn't want all the ties on top for one of the cats to think it's a new toy or food.
    Old 08-08-2020, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2
    I tied a Trip Around the World with the knots on the back. Because I wanted to tie at intersections, I put a pin in the front where I wanted a tie. Turned it over and tied from the back. I like the smooth look.
    yep, that's what I do. Long pins work best.
    Old 08-08-2020, 05:49 AM

Leave the original ends long enough so you can thread them and stick them down too -- it does use up a lot of thread! I'd recommend something like a ball of fine crochet thread (embroidery floss weight).

Make a wavy motion with your needle inside your batting to basically make a couple of stitches. Depending on how far apart your ties are and whether your thread can be seen or not, you can go a couple of inches, surface/take your stitch, double-knot and then go back in again to the next one/bury threads.

Here's a closeup picture of my "Ugly Tie" quilt, some ten years of hard teen aged use and washing on it after I made it. You can see my big "invisible" stitches (I probably actually used dental floss -- 2nd thought it was leftover heavy duty upholstery thread) in the corners, but not so much the ones in the middle.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ugly Close.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	627090  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-08-2020 at 05:54 AM.