Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wow. Price of Backing. >
  • Wow. Price of Backing.

• Wow. Price of Backing.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:32 PM

I just splurged at fabric.com and spent under $10 a yard for a nice cotton blender 108" for the new quilt I'm starting this week. HTH

Rusty
    Old 11-27-2021, 06:21 PM

Thought I should add that many of their fabrics are also on amazon--sometimes cheaper and some times more money--but lately they have become my go-to source for 100% cottons for my quilts. I'm doing a giant dahlia for a friend using fabrics she picked (something I NEVER do) and the total came to under $110. This did not include the 90 x 108 batting, which she already had.

Money is always tight around here so I thought I would mention it. Hope that's not a no-no. If so, I do apologize.

Rusty

Last edited by RustyOne; 11-27-2021 at 06:26 PM. Reason: I can't spell worth didley!
    Old 11-27-2021, 06:48 PM
    Power Poster

I feel your pain, I have a couple of tops waiting for a sale on batting and backing.
    Old 11-27-2021, 06:52 PM

Check Quilted Twins for backing. They have the blender type 108" by the yard & by 3 yd bundle. I think the bundle is less than $50.
    Old 11-27-2021, 08:07 PM

The costs of backing and batting keep going up. I just keep an eye out for sales and buy what I need or might need then. One of my favorite online store is Thousands of Bolts. Their prices are always good and better when on sale.
    Old 11-27-2021, 11:06 PM

There is a gal who sells wide backing for $10/yard on facebook. She has over 450 bolts of it. I buy mine from her. Her facebook group is called Jellyrolls, Layer Cakes & Quilt backing.. by Marylyn.
    Old 11-28-2021, 04:10 AM

Unfortunately we are losing another Quilt Shop here in Maine…the owner is retiring. I will greatly miss the shop as it is my “go to” about 15 minutes from my home. As a result, all of her bolt fabric is 40% off…I guess a good time to purchase backing fabric if you can forecast what you might need.
    Old 11-28-2021, 06:17 AM

With the price of fabric going so high, why not make a pieced backing out of what you already have in your stash? It doesn't have to be complicated and it would cost you next to nothing. The extra advantage is that you can have a beautiful, 2-sided quilt.
    Old 11-28-2021, 06:18 AM

I've picked up my backings at either Marshall's or Quilted Twins. I think both still have fairly decent prices. Luckily I haven't needed any fabrics for quite a while. Have 4-6 backings I have no plans for........yet. All my other quilts waiting to be quilted have their backings and battings already cut ready to go. Now I just need my mojo to come back to me so I can get started.
    Old 11-28-2021, 06:22 AM

I was just looking for some wide-striped fabric to make a cover for a roll-up mattress, but even the fabrics on sale are just too expensive for what I'm looking for. I might go a little more exotic and make my own striped fabric by sewing long, thin, scraps from my stash and then quilting it with a thin, cotton batting.

We are all stash rich and backing poor. We should use our fabric exchange on the QB more.