Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A couple of minky questions >
  • A couple of minky questions

• A couple of minky questions

Old 10-26-2022, 04:36 AM

Default A couple of minky questions

Well, I guess they are questions about a minky type product called cuddle?

It's been such a long time since I've used minky for a quilt back that I can't remember the answers to these questions.

1. Should minky/cuddle be washed before putting it on the long arm as a backing?

2. Do you put the minky with the selvage edge parallel with the rails or perpendicular to the rails on the long arm?

The piece I bought is big enough that I don't have to sew 2 pieces together, thank goodness. I'm ready to get my great granddaughter's quilt quilted but want to do it right. Can you help me and answer my questions?
    Old 10-26-2022, 08:24 AM

I don’t wash minky before I use it, but one hint that has helped me cut down on all the lint that comes from minky is to have your vacuum cleaner hose close when you cut.
    A quick vacuum along the cut line before you move the fabric really cuts down on the clean up afterward.
    Old 10-26-2022, 09:27 AM

I've never washed the minky first, and it always worked well. Minky stretches a lot in one direction, but not in the other. Put the minky on the longarm so that the stretchy direction runs parallel with the rails. You don't want to have the stretchy direction being pulled by the rails as you feed the quilt. I'm sorry I don't have a piece to tell you which direction that is in regard to the selvage.
    Old 10-26-2022, 01:30 PM

A mantra I use for Minky is SOS= selvage’s on the side.
    Old 10-26-2022, 04:20 PM

I did wash mine. I found it bled a bit in the wash so I am glad I did wash it.
    Lynda
    Old 10-26-2022, 04:40 PM

I washed mine with no problems.
    Old 10-26-2022, 06:24 PM

Please explain what minky fabric is. I've sewed since I was 6 and have never heard the term minky as related to fabric.
    Old 10-27-2022, 02:46 AM

Thanks so much for your answers to my questions. Love the SOS mantra. That seems to be the fact I often forget. I don't really use that much minky so at my age remembering the SOS might help me.

MaryKa, I'm sorry I didn't explain the minky product so you would understand what I was asking in my question. Minky or another product called Cuddle is a polyester napped fabric that is probably the first product made to look like fur. But, today the product is much improved over the old fake fur coats of yesteryear. It comes in all kinds of colors, and prints these days with short nap or very long nap to give a soft cuddly texture. I've made a few baby quilts with minky on the back and the quilt I'm finishing up now is one for my great grand daughter who is 12. It's hard to find a picture of minky. It's more of a tactile thing. But, here you go. This is the best photo I could find.

minky by ,
    Old 10-27-2022, 04:04 AM

Thanks for posting the picture. Know this by the name of "Fake fur". It was never used by Momma's Quilting Bees.
    Old 10-27-2022, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKa
    Thanks for posting the picture. Know this by the name of "Fake fur". It was never used by Momma's Quilting Bees.
    Oh, so much softer and better than fake fur!