Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taller table >

taller table

taller table

Old 06-10-2007, 03:52 PM

I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas to pass along on how to make a table for cutting fabric that is a little higher that an normal table? I'm 5'9" tall and my back hurts after cutting fabric. I was thinking about buying a couple of ironing boards and putting a piece of wood on the top so that I could adjust the height and it could be folded up and put away when not in use. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:22 PM

Even though I'm 5'3", my back always hurt from bending over and cutting too. I purchased a large computer desk(it has an extra wide surface) and my husband helped me prop it up on 4 cinder blocks. I couldn't believe what a difference this made. I don't know if you would have room for this, but its a good option.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:32 PM

I bought those plastic risers for raising a bed. They work great under the legs of my cutting table. Just the right height for me but I'm only 5'4". :wink:
Old 06-10-2007, 06:37 PM

ccbear66........
This is not my idea, don't know if it was mentioned on this forum or elsewhere but will pass it on. Get some white plumbing pipe at a Home Center, like they make the white pipe furniture out of, the height of what you want your table to be, they will most likely cut it for you, slip them over each leg to your table. Obviously you need 4 straight legs. I don't and can't use this myself, darnit. Good luck. 8) Betty
Old 06-10-2007, 08:44 PM

First do you know what is the most comfortable height for you? After that it is just the question of functionality. I liked the idea of the ironing boards because of the ease of dismantling and storage......but I am not sure if they will be sturdy enough support for cutting. Check your discount furniture stores or even 2nd hand stores.. They may have older dressers, or cabinets that you can find to fit the bill. Remember to do a ghost cutting to see how this works with your height. The bonus is more storage for the new fats you will be purchasing for all the quilts this comfort will allow you. Also any businesses going out of business, or outlets for overstock. :D
Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 PM

One time I went to Ashley's Furniture with my aunt and I remember there being a whole section for odd pieces of furniture or things that were marked down (significantly) because there was something wrong with them (like scratched surfaces, torn upholstry, etc.) Who knows? You might find something suitable for a cutting surface if you look into the "misfit furniture section" of a furniture store.

If there are any furniture places going out of business or doing liquidation there are bound to be some major discounts on tables that could be your new cutting surface.

Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be the prettiest looking piece of furniture if you're gonna use it for cutting. My dad's girlfriend bought the most hideous looking table I've ever seen in my life, but she says it makes a great cutting surface.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:45 PM

The above post had me laughing and kinda took the thunder out of my suggestion----great minds think alike, eh?? :)

My hubby works for Ashley and I got a really nice 72"L x 42"W dining table with an extension leaf, on clearance for $77. It works so well for me. Plenty of room to plan and work on.

I did the very things that were suggested, looking at discount furniture places, yard sales, ads in the paper. Granted, I didn't want to spend that much, but, well, you know how it goes.

I was thinking of your ironing board idea but the thing too that I thought of was how sturdy would it be, especially for cutting. I had tried to use a fold up heavy resin card table, but it had too much give going toward the center so that my cuts would mess up.

Hope you find something soon.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Administrator

I'm 5'11", so i feel your pain. I do amost all of my cutting on the kitchen counter. it's just the right height.

this link shows the folding/rolling cutting table i hope to buy within the next couple of months. i plan to get two so i'll have a nice huge surfaces for the basting and machine quilting phase. i haven't shopped around yet, so don't know if this is the lowest price source.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/sullivans_home_hobby_table.html
Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 AM

Hi, I am also 5'10" and cutting was a problem for me. So I went to Bed Bath and Beyond where they sell risers (for beds) which are very inexpensive. You get four in a box for less than $10. and they make all the difference in the world.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:01 AM

My husband built a table for me. He used a hollow core wood door. He got the biggest they make in order to give me the most cutting surface. Then he bought some wood and made a "skirt" about 3 inches wide, which is set in from the edge of the table. This formed a "box" into which he set the legs. (the legs are anchored to this skirt (box) They were bought at the lumber dept (Home Depot, I think) and since those "legs" are designed for porchs and stairways, he determined how long to cut them in order to give me a counter height table. I am 5"6" and getting old and creaky, so this was a very good solution for me.

There might be some drawings available if you cannot find a similar table plan on the internet.