Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Big is Your Stash??Let's be honest... >

How Big is Your Stash??Let's be honest...

How Big is Your Stash??Let's be honest...

Old 12-26-2006, 02:48 PM

Hello everyone,
My stash is Huge. One room (12x12)in my home is totally taken with fabric and quilt related stuff. I have 10x 20 storage unit 3/4 full of fabric and some yarn. I also crochet alot too. I store the fabric in plastic storage totes. I also use the XL,XXL Ziplock bags.I tell my hubby I'm going for fabricshopping,he says where ,I say mini storage. I won't live long enough to use what I have, but it is an addiction!!
Mary in Louisiana :)
Old 12-26-2006, 04:07 PM

How in the world do you know what you have? Do you have it in any kind of order, Ex: by color, fabric type, etc? How many quilts do you turn out in a year? I'm just really curious.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:46 PM

Hi Becky,
I have it sorted by color, holiday ,fabric lines. If I buy for 1 quilt,that will all stay together. animal fabric stay together. But no matter how hard you try it will still get messed up. Every now and then Hubby and my Girls will help me straighten up. I finished 16 quilts this year. I do alot of scrap quilts .I have 6 to put the binding on. also have many ufo's. I have 4baby quilts to get done. But that will be next year,ha ha.I have quilting 9 years.

I would quilt 24 hrs. a day if I did't need to sleep.

Mary in Louisiana
Old 12-26-2006, 05:15 PM

It definately got bigger this Christmas, I received some wonderful fat quarters for presents from two of my best friends. Yum.........
Old 12-26-2006, 06:50 PM

I used to sew early 1800's era outfits, and have all the cotton and wool scraps left over from that. I have lots of fabric in my yard sale travel trailer sewing room that I can hardly get in. Enough to keep me busy the rest of my life, too. But I do NOT have it organized yet. That has to wait for Spring so I can stack the boxes outside to sort them. So, in the mean time, I go buy more. :lol:
Old 12-27-2006, 04:55 AM

I have only been quilting for a year. I don't have a sewing room; I use a corner in the living room that is about 3 by 6 feet. I have a shelf that is about 18" sq with 4 shelves. My stash consists of a large green storage crate I keep in my bedroom. I don't buy as much extra as I started out buying. I seem to find a fabric I like and then go get the other colors to go with it. I have an attic room I could take over but it is cold in winter and hot in summer, also only two small windows Also I can't hear anyone if they come.
I can get along the way I am. and the only thing I want to get is a large folding table.
I have a bad :lol: habit of setting things down and spend lots of time hunting., because of this I now have 3 good pairs of sissors. I use my coffee table for cutting.. I just throw down my cutting board.
Is anyone else in a small area,tell me about yours
Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 AM

Mary, my stash isn't as large as yours but thats just from lack of money, sometimes--haha--I just love buying fabric, maybe more then putting the quilts together :oops: I've got about 3 totes full of odds and ends and one tote completely full off fabric for certain quilts I just know I'm going to do one day :mrgreen: just as soon as the holidays are over I'm going to the fabric store, just never know what I might need!!! I've got to get some backing for a quilt that I just finished-----never ending isn't it :shock: gail from Colorado
Old 12-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Banned

I have a room that is 8x10 that holds my sewing machine(s), ironing board, and LOTS of fabric!!! Sometimes I can even see the floor. I have fabric for quilts as well as garments for my grandkids. I hope to make LOTS and LOTS of quilts in the coming year! :)
Old 12-27-2006, 01:12 PM

I've got quite a bit although it doesn't take up a whole room. But then, the room it is in is about 20 X 36. I have four kitchen (wall) cabinet sized cabinets full of fabric. Then I have several plastic totes. I also have 2 large CD holders full of fat quarters. I have about 15 stackable plastic crates filled with fabric (turned sideways so they are like a tall shelf). Then, I have a canvas shoe holder in the closet stuffed with fabric. My larger than fat quarter fabric is folded selvage to selvage, then folded again. Then folded over my 6 X 24 inch ruler repeatedly (over the 6 inch length), the length of the fabric. Then slide out the ruler and fold it in half. Sounds complicated but it isn't and it keeps it neat. Folding goes super fast and you can see the fabric on the shelf. I have some plastic shelves where I keep my scraps, sorted by size and shape. I sort my fabric by color or type, whichever is predominate (I have my blue fabric, but I keep my blue batiks with my batiks, for example). I also sort by fabric collections if I have some from the same collection.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:18 PM

My stash is large enough to keep me entertained for a very, very long time. If you haven't visited Ami Simms site, "I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours," here's the address

http://www.amisimms.com/stash.html

It's interesting to see how others have organized their stash.

I've started cutting my scraps into strips of different widths and then filing them accordingly. I wish I had started this a long time ago. I've been cutting and cutting and I still have a basket of scraps to go through. Eventually I'll be ready for some strip quilts, I hope!