Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
am not going to make anymore for family >

am not going to make anymore for family

am not going to make anymore for family

Old 12-28-2010, 05:35 AM

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}
So sorry! Don't let it get to you. If you EVER decide to make something for them again...try something small that you really enjoy making...(mug rugs?) or snap bags and then you can give them away and let it go!
I have five children and 5 grands. I made the oldest daughter a quilt....she said thank you, but....
I made her son a quillo when he was little and he loved it! He's 18 now and still has that thing even though it's in threads.He keeps asking me to make him another one, but I know that another one will never be as 'good' as the original. The others haven't gotten anything from me. MY BAD...I think I want to remedy that. My part is to do the giving...what they do with it is up to them. In life we win some and lose some! I think it's our hearts we need to be good with! (I would've loved to receive a bag someone else had gone to the trouble to make!)Many Blessings!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:41 AM

That has happened to me this year. I too am unhappy and refuse to make things for them any more. Have more time to do things for me now.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 AM

I agree. No more gifts for family.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:15 AM

When I was first married, my MIL made us a scrappy quilt for Christmas (out of poly). It was pretty and I really liked it and of course, made a fuss out of it. Her daughters also received one and they did not make much of a fuss about it. I am still using that quilt, almost 40 years old now. One of my favorites and so warm. I did not even imagaine I would ever quilt at the time. Now I really realize how much work went into that and wish she was here so I could make her know how much I appreciate it.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:16 AM

I understand how your feelings must have been hurt. I made 4 Bow Tucks purses for my bible study friends and one more for my daughter's friend. 4 of them loved the purses (one even wants to buy a smaller version), but 1 of them put her purse to the side and you could tell that she didn't like it. She didn't say a word just put the purse on the counter & her facial expression said "EEEEwwwww". So, my feelings were hurt. I don't think non-sewing or non-quilting people understand how much time, love & money go into making a gift. Below are pictures of the purses I made as Christmas gifts this year. In the first picture the purse on the left is the one that my friend didn't like :(
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-148915.jpe
Views:	105
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	148920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-148916.jpe
Views:	104
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	148921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-148917.jpe
Views:	103
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	148922  
Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 AM

Oh, I am sooo sorry! Don't feel bad, I made two quilts; one was a beachy type (about 4 1/2 ft. x 5 1/2 ft). for my brother's shore house . . his wife said "oh thank you" without much enthusiasm. My niece - I made a Bad Hair Day with 1/2 square triangles and bad hair day squares and she didn't even open the whole thing (@&^%@*^$^&^(@$$^&*) and said "thanks for the BLANKET" - never even showed it to those sitting right with her!!! AND, I hand quilted both!!!! ARGHHHHH! So, I said the same thing to myself as you did!!!
I definitely understand your thinking and feel the same way YOU do. Thanks for sharing; thought I was the only one disappointed!

Those purses are beautiful and look almost like the "professional totes" I made. Anyone who sewed would certainly appreciate one of those purses for a gift, wouldn't you think?

p.s. Was so anxious to send you a message, I didn't see the pictures! They ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL! Shame on your family!!
I would have LOVED to be the recipient of any of them!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:23 AM

Oops, I must learn to read before mouthing off . . now I see these are not the ones you made, but I am sure they are just as beautiful and I would have been THRILLED if someone had taken the time to make one for me. You both did a super job!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 AM

I LOVE home-hand made items. It just shows the care and love that is put into it. Anybody can go out shopping and pick up a replica of something. I usually get, but mom when do I get one. So sorry, here's a hug { } and I would ask for them all back and give them to someone who will appreciate them, Like me.