DIFFERENT NAMES

Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 PM

I grew up in the 60's and I abslolutey hated my name. My 1st name is Muriel (mothers middle name)and at the time there was the Muriel cigar commercials "Why Don't you pick one up and smoke her sometime" OH YUCK!! but if that wasn't bad enough my last name was Smart yeah that's right. Try living with that one in school. Especially with Get Smart being such a popular show. I was always, Maxwell's kid, Not So's kid, Get Smart etc. etc.
Now my last name is Toole (e is silent)so I just tell everyone I'm a Smart Tool....
Or when someone calls the house sometimes I answer Tooleshed, Lady Hammerhead speaking.
Muriel
Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 AM

another Barbara here - I was called Barby when younger, now only aunts and cousins still call me that.
DH calls me Bubba, that's OK. Most people call me Barb. I don't feel like a Barb. My mum told me she wanted to name me Bonnie Jean, I would have liked that. (love that song!). I guess my dad vetoed it, which is weird as he was Irish, she was Italian.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 AM

My mother had six daughters......she started running out of names for girls by daughter number 4. I'm daughter number #6. My name, Leidene, pronounced like "Nadine" except with an "L". The background to this name: Born on May Day which is Lei Day in Hawaii. The lady in the hospital bed next to my mother suggested my name as my mother didn't want to give me a short name like May or Lei. Throughout the years, people either can't pronounce it, spell it or remember it. So I've been Nadine, Lisa, You (my mother calling me after going down the list of my all my sisters name first before getting frustrated and saying YOU). Does it stand to reason, I hate my name???
Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 AM

My grandaughter has two beautiful little blond, blue-eyed little girls. I can't imagine what she was thinking when she named them Bergeron and Huxley! I think thier names are awful! Am I just old fashioned?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM

My name is Deanna. I was named after Deanna Durbin if you know who she is. She was an actress way back when. My family called me Deanna...except for my grandma. She called me Dee Dee. I don't ever remember her ever calling me Deanna.
Now my sister...her name was Dawna Louise. I called her Dawna and I think I was about the only one oh my grandma called her Dawna...but everyone else called her Farmer John. She was probably 5 years old before she knew her real name was Dawna because everyone called her Farmer John. She's gone now, but I still have lots of memories of her.. And that farmer john overalls she used to wear with COMBAT BOOTS. LOl
Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM

[quote=Airwick156]My name is Deanna. I was named after Deanna Durbin if you know who she is. She was an actress way back when.
---------------------------------Yes, I know who she was, and even now I go to YouTube and listen again to that glorious voice singing Danny Boy!!!

And as for fighting your way through school, try going during the 40s with the name of Violet Byrd..with the middle name of Elsie (named for both Mom and Dads' sisters) and at that time Elsie the Borden Cow was a very public advertising ad, and I was never skinny!!!
and I had a sister Vivian Blue Byrd!!! And a brother Victor Herbert (favorite musician of Dad's, who with his brothers made gospel records).
We weren't raised together but both of us had the same history of being taunted by Bird Brain, Bird legs (in our case, with German Grandparents, we were no way near skinny). We were all careful to name our kids easy to remember names. But one of my DDs named her daughter from a book she was reading when expecting...Faustina Rene. Who is now a Texas RN and seems resigned to being called either Rene` or Faustina, depending on who does the calling.
I use the name of my late sister for a "screen name" and even she was named for the movie Ramona, which Mom loved. She would go around the house singing it, wish I could have inherited some musical ability.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM

My folks did the unique naming thing ... and most of the kids have followed suit.
Valerie, Monica, Allyson, Justin, MaryEsther (yes, all one name!) and Lee. Gave rise to:
Garrett, Benton, Devynne, Lyvie, Quin, Aiden, Malachi, Skyler, Rane, Stone, Luke, Adelaide (called Heidi), Genevieve, Cael, Levi, Zephram, Caemlyn, Ada, Tyghe, Maximus (called Max), Cadence, Taelyn, Zaden, Alexan

There is a James and a Sara that fell in the mainstream!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by minnow895
my name is patricia i hate it when people call me pattie my grand
ma called me pattie ann
Ditto
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM

Well, Pamela is not so bad until it was put as first initial and last name (which was Straight) so I was often taunted with Pee Crooked. Now I'm just Pastor Pam which sounded odd to me at first but has a certain ring to it now!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM

My name is Margaret..but no one ever calls me by that! I go by Maggie all the time. Down the road I might eventually go by Margaret..but everyone says it doesn't fit! And my married name now has a little ring to it...Maggie Moe. I've always liked my name :)