Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 AM

You seem to be making too much of it. My first pattern was turning twenty. Went quickly and made large squares. Stop researching it so much and just choose a pattern and go with it. It will be more rewarding and you won't be sorry.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Find a pretty panel and just sew 3" strips around it. It can be georgous. Keepsake qUILTING HAS SOME VERY CHEAP Whole small kits $20.00 Panel backing and batting. Call them they are in Nh and they will tell you which one one the web. Just go to keepsakequilting.com Have fun.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Don't give up! 9 Patch and 4 Patch only use squares and they make beautiful quilts. Once you are comfortable with them, you can make Disappearing 9 Patches and 4-to-9 Patches and still work with squares and rectangles!

Personally, I really LOVE working with squares :wink:
Old 03-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Please don't be overwhelmed. Quilting is great therapy. There are several beginner patterns, log cabin, 4 patch, 9 patch, and rail fence to name a few. Besides I still really doing the above named patterns. Have been quilting for 11 years but will never be an expert quilter but it is still my passion.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 PM

Dmacc no one wakes up one day and knows how to make a quilt. We learn with one quilt at a time taking baby steps. Begin with a small project and then challenge yourself with a new technique on the next project. Ask a lot of questions. Someone will have the answer.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:40 PM

If you want to do simple patterns using only squares and rectangles, check out the free patterns available on the internet (at such sites as mentioned by other members). Then go to any store where you can purchase school supplies. Pick up one package of graph paper and one box of colored pencils. From there, you can create any number of beautiful designs you can think of. The simplicity of the simple square, perhaps combined with a simple rectangle, can create some of the most elegant quilts!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Don't get discouraged! All you have to do is just get started and everything will fall into place. Begin by making a baby quilt and go from there. If you don't know anybody who is going to have a baby, donate it to a charitable organization. They will accept it. If you make any mistakes, the baby won't care. They will just be warm.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Simple table runners are great for beginners. You get to learn new techniques and you don't have to make a lot of blocks or fret about perfection on your first projects. A little experience is better than a lot of planning and doing nothing or being discouraged.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM

It seems the general opinion is for you to try a 9 patch and I agree- it was my first quilt when I was a girl and still love making them- they are so simple but yet can look complicated - it's all in your fabric and layout - several people have suggested pillows or baby quilts which are both very good suggestions ut I'd like to throw in another - try a mini quilt - it would give you all the elements ofa full size quilt but allow you to coplete your quilt easier - there are so many quilt patterns thatI have moved to mini quilts so that I can try more patterns faster - About.com has several mini quilt patterns or you could simply reduce a regular size pattern to a smaller size - whatever you descide good luck - p.s. I've posted a picture of my most recent mini quilt on the pictures page (a nine patch) if you would like to see it
Old 03-06-2011, 04:39 PM

I decided I don`t have or want one of those fancy machines but want to quilt. They don`t want my offer of sqares quilted and tied for a soldier in Afganistan because it is different from the machine quilted. Well I like it so I will give it for a Christmas gift.My son in law built a quilting frame for me and that is great by me. You must follow your own path by taking the best of what you can learn and use it. I bought a video of a famous quilter and couldn`t listen to it. She was soooo strange. I`ll be ok without it.Try to draw your own ideas. Cut everything with a 1/2 inch extra for 1/4 seams on each side and you will be pleased at what you can do.