Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about hand applique >

Question about hand applique

Question about hand applique

Old 02-07-2009, 10:04 AM

I've done applique a few times, just kind of incidental and not as the main work on a quilt. I wonder... is there a specific type of thread that is best to use? I'll be doing the tiny hidden stitches, not a blanket stitch or decorative.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:50 AM

I use Mettler Silk Finish 50/3 in the color to match the applique. Alot of people like the YLI silk #100. I haven't had any problems with the mettler. I like it.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Use a thread that's fine (finer than all-purpose sewing thread), in a color to match the applique.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks, I'll look for it (bringing the fabric with me to match).
Old 02-07-2009, 04:23 PM

A couple of helpful hints for you. Try to match your thread to your fabric in natural light if you can. Unwind a bit of the thread and lay it across the fabric you'd like to match and you'll get a better idea of how invisible it'll be as a single thread rather than a solid spool of color.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:45 PM

I use Gutterman or Prescia. I did sit in a restoration of old quilts and they say to use silk to repair old quilts but did not recommend for our today quilts due to the strength issues. I just took an appliq class and the teacher recomm.silk thread due to it being so easy and thin to manage...I stuck w/my regulars:)(Just in case-for it made sense to me-no offense to those that prefer it) I love to match them too. Really makes hiding all so great! Skeat
Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Also...I love 'thread heaven'....keeps the thread from tangling up...and, if you are like me, you might snip off too long of thread at a time:)Which I think is recomm.not to go over 16" in length.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:46 AM

I use Mettler Silk Finish or Aurifil and try to match the fabric. A long time ago I heard that your should match your thread type to your fabric ie. cotton to cotton, silk to silk so I've never tried the silk.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:42 PM

I love applique and I love using Mettlers 60/2 cotton thread (it is finer,thus less noticable) than the 50/3. The problem I've had is if you are doing something with many colors, it can get expensive to buy a spool for only a few flowers or something. BUT I discovered recently, at the Piece O' Cake site, they sell packs of bobbins of 12 different colors, 3 different packs for $9. It is Superior brand Masterpiece thread size 60/2. I can't wait to purchase them. They call them "Frostings"
Old 02-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Good information here. Thanks everybody :mrgreen: