Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ott lights. >

Ott lights.

Ott lights.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 AM

As others have said, the lightbulbs only fit OTT fixtures.

The OTT Lights themselves are worth 10 times what I pay for them in terms of SAVING MY EYES from strain and premature aging, matching colors, etc. I can do 8+ hours per day hand sewing or embroidery with an OTT light and never feel it. Also, they're terrific for reading (studying) and an absolute godsend for small-scale intricate work like beading or petit point embroidery.

I bought a flip-up Task light for my Mom for her 75th birthday a decade ago and she is STILL raving about how huge a difference it makes in her hand-sewing and crafts work. By her recommendation alone, over 20 of her friends in her various craft and social groups have bought OTT lights. (No, I don't work for them!!!)
Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 AM

Actually, the last time I went to JoAnns, they had a new OttLite bulb. It is an actual lightbulb that replaces a 100 watt bulb. It looks like the CFLs that are already on the market, but have a more true light (less yellow cast). I bought one and it's great. They are not as cheap as the regular CFLs, but for sewing or craft room where you want true color, it's so much better. I will probably be buying a few more next time the OttLites are on sale there or I will look elsewhere like eBay.

I just looked on the JoAnn's website and they have different wattages for these CFL style bulbs (http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...questid=392615).

However, as other people stated, all the tube like OttLite bulbs will only fit OttLite type lamps.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 AM

I have an Regular lamp that uses an Ott Lite bulb that screws in like a regular bulb, I use it for reading. I also have a Ott Floor lamp that will only use a plug in type bulb the bulb for it is $30, the ott lite bulb for a regular lamp is about $11.

I bought my ott lite light bulb for my regular lamp at JoAnns. They are sometimes hard to find but you can get them online.

This is a web site, that might help.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...7XT5g&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp130132599345306&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14661128631370072352&sa=X&ei=r6iQTcivHYq-sAOWmOieAg&sqi=2&ved=0CF8Q8gIwBA#

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
As others have said, the lightbulbs only fit OTT fixtures.

The OTT Lights themselves are worth 10 times what I pay for them in terms of SAVING MY EYES from strain and premature aging, matching colors, etc. I can do 8+ hours per day hand sewing or embroidery with an OTT light and never feel it. Also, they're terrific for reading (studying) and an absolute godsend for small-scale intricate work like beading or petit point embroidery.

I bought a flip-up Task light for my Mom for her 75th birthday a decade ago and she is STILL raving about how huge a difference it makes in her hand-sewing and crafts work. By her recommendation alone, over 20 of her friends in her various craft and social groups have bought OTT lights. (No, I don't work for them!!!)
Old 03-28-2011, 08:22 AM

I bought the spiral light bulb one and use it in a clamp on desk lamp. Works just fine. $14.00 was a lot better than even the $35.00 one on sale.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 AM

Thanks you for the info I will most definitely check it out. I have a great lamp by my machine I just need the bulb. Didn't want to by another lamp.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Out west, we have what is called Fred Meyers-a one stop shopping store. I bought a floor lamp and a desk lamp that look like Otto lights. They were at least half the price. And I buy their brand of light bulbs for them at a fraction of the cost. Sorry, it has been a while since I bought one so I don't remember the brand. But, the bulb looks just the same and costs about $8-12. I use mine every night and it has been quite a while since I have replaced it. :-D
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM

check for sales.......they are always going on sale! For my money-(own 3) they are WORTH THE PRICE!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM

check for sales.......they are always going on sale! For my money-(own 3) they are WORTH THE PRICE!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 AM

well worth it!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by milp04
Just a word to note, if you begin to have trouble sleeping at night after sewing with an Ott light. You may be light sensitive and will need to watch how much and how late at nite you sew using the light. Pam M
Tell me more about the light sensitivity? I have heard that exposure to bright light in the morning will help regulate your body clock in a good way, & too much bright light late @ night will cause problems with sleep cycles. Is this what you mean? Thanks, CT

I have 2 Ott's for myself, & just bought 2 for my sons in college for Xmas...desk style were on sale for only $15 each @ Michael's on Black Friday Nov 2010. I am a happy user.