Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April Weight Loss Winner is Nanny Sandy >

April Weight Loss Winner is Nanny Sandy

April Weight Loss Winner is Nanny Sandy

Old 04-26-2011, 02:32 PM

Sandy,
I didn't think that would eliminate the "chat" on the board. I was hoping it would encourage us to work toward our goals. As we would change partners every month, we would still need to update our board friends on our progress/life changes.

You have a good point. That is why I'm trying to start conversation with this idea.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
MJ thanks for keeping us going on here!

CAROLJ i know you have lost alot of weight recently. Do you mind me asking about how much you averaged a week or month? I got it in my head that if I could lose about 10 pounds a month or 2.5 a week I could stay motivated. Is this do-able? I knew my weight loss would slow down but I can't seem to get it up to the speed I had hoped for.
I've lost 80 pounds. I didn't lose any weight the month my dad died or in March, but I have been losing about 10 pounds a month. My weight loss in the beginning was quicker than it is now. But you need to take into consideration at 245, I burned more calories during an hour of exercise than I do now. At 245 it is easy to cut out 500 calories a day because you're consuming around 3,000 calories, but now it is harder because I would have to cut my calories to around 800 per day.

I would shoot for about 1.5 to 2. pounds a week. Anymore than that isn't advised unless you have medical approval. When I drastically cut my calories I not only lost weight but I was losing hair by the handfuls. Plus, as you get older your skin is not as elastic and the rapid weight loss leads to the saggy elephant look.

What worked for me was making little changes in my life. I gave up soda, then potato chips, and so on. Exercise was a slow start. I could only go around the block before I was winded, now I can cycle about 20+ miles and then take the dog for a walk. Just keep tweeking what you do daily. And remember going to bed a bit hungry isn't going to kill you!

A couple of things I do fairly religiously: that is counting calories and journaling my food. I was surprised at the calories of many "healthy" foods. An ounce of cheddar cheese, (about the size of dice) is 110 calories. By counting calories or knowing the calories of items you make wise choices. I still eat cheese, but it is Feta.

I hope this helps. My life style change started mid June of 2010. So I have an anniversity coming up here.

Oh yeah, not only keep track of your weight loss, but also measure yourself. Many times it looks like nothing is changing, but if you an compare measurements, you may see a reduction in size. This helped me a lot because I would get so depressed because I wasn't losing fast enough. Plus, I would get very angry at myself for letting my weight get so out of hand.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 PM

I like the buddy idea. Maybe it could be like how AA does it, someone who has been around works with a newbe. It helps the old timer as they can reaffirm what they have learned, but it also helps the new person as they can speak with someone with experience. The group chat is great, but having a confidante I think is also needed. Sometimes I was so despondent over losing weight I wanted to cry. It may not be for everyone, but then those who want it have a choice.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM

As the QB is wanting us to stay on topic, I'm looking for a safe way for us to vent.

Discussing our frustrations and obstacles helps us to move forward, as long as we look for solutions instead of getting stuck.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM

Part of losing weight is dealing with all of the garbage that caused you to gain in the beginning. It may be as simple as a poor diet, medication or whatever. But many of the frustrations I felt were said by others.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Ok now, I've only been gone TWO days and things are changin'.

MJ, thanks for steppin up for the rest of us!

Sandy, you sound better. How is your pain factor? I see my DR again in the morn - gonna opt for the injection. I walked 20+ minutes today and I am already swollen. Hope he sees it too.

Carol, I think your plan of action is very effective. I am most successful when I write down everything I eat.

Today is day 2 of our 17-day diet. I am struggling with enough 'legal' variety in this first phase. Had a nice soup tonight that stuffed me, but I am hungry now. As Carol said, going to bed hungry won't kill me.

Not 100% sure I'll participate on the next challenge, but I WILL lurk. There is a possibility we will drive to California the 23rd for 10 days.

Have a blessed Tuesday night!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Part of losing weight is dealing with all of the garbage that caused you to gain in the beginning. It may be as simple as a poor diet, medication or whatever. But many of the frustrations I felt were said by others.
CarolJ,
I'm trying to find a way to work with the restrictions. What I'm looking for is a buddy system with a quilt factor thrown in. I even thought about exchanging the FQ with partner, then cutting it in half, and making a block to send to the best loser for the month. And yes, now that things are changing, we could go to a percentage (if someone can figure the formula).
Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I can't take the restrictions so I won't be joining next month. I have already tried the buddy system with others and it has never worked. Trust me I tried several times, it just doesn't seem to hold them as accountable. Hope you can make it work MJ.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 PM

I went in for more tests today and they told me I have to eat more. Can you imagine, eating more. I seldom eat much because I have so worried about eating that I have become fixated on not eating, Now I have to figure out how to eat more calories and eat healthy at the same time. They are testing for Cushings disease and maybe that will help. Right now I am still not giving up but am a little hopeful eating more will help,.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Jo,
that sounds so frustrating. Cushing's will definitely make you gain weight.