Cloth diapers

Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by lindy-2
dont have a pattern but make sure you have a good diper pail with a lid that seals and put vinigar in with the water to keep oderes down. or try to toilet train them my freind had her daughter traned at 4months
wow- I'd like to know how she managed that- seriously 4 months? :thumbdown:
Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 PM

My daughter has cloth diapered both of my grandsons. I found free patterns on line. I was shocked at the prices of new cloth diapers. It is very common to sell used cloth diapers. If you do a google search for cloth diapers you'll get tons of good information. Be sure to use poly thread because cotton thread will wick moisture. I was making so many of them I invested in a really good snap press.
If you have an embroidery sewing machine you can get real fancy with designs. These are certainly are not the cloth diapers of years ago.
Neither of my grandsons have had skin rashes or problems. My daughter always hung her diapers out on a clothes line.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Power Poster

fabric.com sells good quality diaper flannel at a good price- when i made my last diapers i used flannel from them-
saved me tons of money going that route :)
and enviromentally sound :)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:06 AM

Glad to know that so many new mothers are going to cloth diapers. I used cloth on my daughters and they in turn used cloth on there little ones. Use a little Clorax in wash cycle. This will keep diapers smelling fresh and sanitizes.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Oohhhhhh I'm so OLLLLD!! :( I've never heard of ANY of those!
Me too!!! :lol:
Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 AM

If you use all cloth diapers, look into soakers also. It will help keep baby's bottom dry(er) until you can change it.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:40 AM

Wow all these new cloth diapers sure beats the old ones I folded, pinned and used plastic pants over lol. They had disposables when my oldest was born but I was SOOOOOO poor at that time I used cloth diapers, and breast fed,then later made all my own baby food. Saved a ton of money.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raedar63
Wow all these new cloth diapers sure beats the old ones I folded, pinned and used plastic pants over lol. They had disposables when my oldest was born but I was SOOOOOO poor at that time I used cloth diapers, and breast fed,then later made all my own baby food. Saved a ton of money.
Sometimes I think that when we were poorer - we actually ate more nutritious food.

We used cloth diapers, too - but that was when the dinosaurs still walked the earth.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:56 AM

I used cloth diapers on both of my little ones. I researched the cloth diapers for purchase and they are really expensive for my budget. I bought prefolded diapers at Walmart and then microfiber shop towels in the automotive section. I split about half of the microfiber towels (no need to hem cut edge, they don't ravel) and sewed them to the tri-fold on the long side next to the padded center, leaving the top and bottom open. For days I could get buy with just the one layer of microfiber, but at night I would fold another microfiber towel and slide in in the top and out the bottom to provide for 3 layers of microfiber for absorbency. I just used the plastic pants at walmart and loved doing it the least expensive way and it worked good.

As for rashes, I know that anyone using cloth will need to change diapers a little more often, but I didn't mind since it wasn't costing me anything except an extra load of laundry.

Vinegar in the diaper pail will cut down on odors and then also rinsing them in clean toilet water to get most of the yuckies off before putting them in the pail.

Washing them is also a breeze. I would dump the diapers in and run a rinse and spin cycle and then run a regular cycle with a little detergent and about 1/2 cup baking soda. The baking soda neutralizes the ammonia in the diapers. Line drying also helps freshen them but a dryer will work also.

It you want anymore hints, just P.M. and I will be happy to answer questions.

Sheila
Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 AM

Each individual cloth diaper does look expensive, but you save tons of money over the life of your child. I priced making my own vs. buying them, and it was much cheaper and better quality to simply buy. Look for sales, and buy them in bundles. It's worth it.

The pocket diapers like BumGenius and Fuzzibunz have inserts that go inside that wick moisture away from your baby's bottom. They're not made of just cotton or even hemp. They work great, and getting those materials, especially the snaps required for a one-size diaper (which means that fit babies approx. 7lb-35lb) make it cheaper to buy. You generally need just 24 one-size diapers for the entire time your child is in diapers. Compared to disposables or making your own sized diapers, that's incredibly cheap!

The diapers you purchase come with very specific washing instructions. You use hot water to sanitize, and usually use Clorox approx. 1x/month to help prevent odors.