Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Update about wasps attack on my hubby ,,, >

Update about wasps attack on my hubby ,,,

Update about wasps attack on my hubby ,,,

Old 07-30-2011, 04:37 AM

Sorry to hear about your DH and glad to hear it all turned out fine.

I was stung in the foot, and husband ran for the baby oragel,(baby teething gel) and the horrible pain was instantly gone, just like it never happened - he had heard that Baby Oragel worked really good - I can attest to that now.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 AM

years ago my german shepard ran through some ground cover and got stung all over. I was there with him so quickly grabed a garden hose and started spraying him with water to get the bees off him. As I ran after him with the hose I fell down a slight incline and tumbled all the way down. didn't know if I should cry or laugh. Any way the dog took off and was lost for three days. Finally found him about five miles away. Had called the vet and asked if he would be in danger from the stings but was told he probably was just scared. He was a dog that someone had tied up to a pole in a parking lot and just left him so we took him in.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Wow, thats a lot of bee's. Truthfully your husband was lucky after hearing how big this nest was. Glad everone is doing good.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:30 AM

We too have honey bees in a hole of an old tree out back. But they never seem to bother us. I have a wildlife biologist come out and take a look at them and he said they we the good honey bees...not Africanized. So we will keep our colony, and plan to put another hive nearby, so when they do swarm, they have some where else to go. I am so sorry you had such trouble....hope you both heal up well.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Carron
First off, I was wrong about the species, they are not wasps but honey bees.
Had a pest control company out today to handle the problem: Boy, what a problem too.

The man did get some of the hive (this is under the barn beneth the flooring) actually he pulled out a portion that weighed 30 lbs. That is a lot of honey and he thinks he did get the Queen, however the hive is very long and he was unable get all of it with out the right equipment.

Next week they need to return to pull up the flooring and fish out the rest of the hive or a new batch of bees will move in and continue building.

The man estimated that there are (some now gone) between 20 and 30 thousand bees in that hive.

We learned today that two horses and a dog have been attacked and killed by honey bees in this area. Sooooooo we will pay the enourmous price tag attached to the removal of all that remains of this colony.

Funny thing about this is that we nor any neighbors have seen any bee activity around our homes until yesterday when my husband went where they did not want him to be. According to the exterminator that hive has been there a least a year. Who knew, we certainly did not.

A clue was right in front of us and we didn't even see it. One of our cats loves to lay near the barn, probably looking for mice, but for the past several months she has been spending her time indoors, so very unlike her. I though she was just being social which she is not.
I think she knew there was danger at the barn and she was staying away.

Our fur babies are so smart and I guess we need to pay more attention to their actions.

Husband is doing very well tonight, most of his stings are not bothering him any more and the dog's foot is looking more normal.

When the bees followed my hubby to the house yesterday a few stuck around and I was stung twice. Boy does that hurt.
Enchanted quilter suggested to take a cotton ball and dip it into Clorox bleach then dab the area to relieve the pain and help destroy the poison the bees desposit in the sting.
I tried it and it really works.
slices of raw onion laid on bee stings or any kind of stings relieves teh sting also - I have heard laying a penny on a sting help, but have not tried that - but onion sure does. and leave it on as long as you need to take the swelling down.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 AM

Wow, what a story!
I can't believe all this from honey bees!
Hope your husband is back on track soon and the pets can get there space back.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 AM

What happened to the news report about 3 yrs. ago that said, "In 4 years there will be no more bees to pollinate any of our crops." I worried some over that because we don`t see any around here and all our honey bee hive owners are gone.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 AM

Were those Honeybees the hybrid African Killer bees? I thought Honeybees were not aggressive. We have had some swarms in south florida... they kill dogs and anything in their paths... so glad to hear your DH and puppy are okay.

/www.desertusa.com/mag98/sep/stories/kbees.html
Old 07-30-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Carron
Husband is doing very well tonight, most of his stings are not bothering him any more and the dog's foot is looking more normal.

When the bees followed my hubby to the house yesterday a few stuck around and I was stung twice. Boy does that hurt.
Enchanted quilter suggested to take a cotton ball and dip it into Clorox bleach then dab the area to relieve the pain and help destroy the poison the bees desposit in the sting.
I tried it and it really works.
Sorry to hear about your hubby and the attack. Yet, how very sad that with the shortage of GOOD bees in this country that the hive could not be moved....

as for the sting...a wet tea bag works really good....
This.

I had a honey bee swarm near my house. I was a bit afraid as I had 3 kids and want' sure if it was killer bees or not. My neighbor suggested calling the extension service. They referred me to a bee keeper.

He came by and happily took the swarm and gave my kids a biology lesson. They were also very docile. No smoke was needed.

I hope they are doing good in their new home.

I also learned that simple water and smoke would have done the job, no expensive chemicals were needed. I know for wasps hairspray does the trick. The spray is sticky and sticks to their bodies, can't fly and can't breathe.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:44 AM

I am shuddering just thinking about the attack on your DH. I hate any kind of stinging insect, we have some of the ones that nest in the ground, if you step on their area, out they come.