Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
serger? >

serger?

serger?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzy Bee
me too,,,,and love it....
Originally Posted by lovelyl
Babylock has sergers that are very easy to thread - I have the Imagine and love it!
Agree wholeheartedly. The Imagine is awesome and goes through all thicknesses of fabrics without a hitch and never breaks thread like an old Riccar serger did.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 PM

I have a Singer ProFinish and love it ....I don't use it very often either!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 PM

I bought the Babylock Imagine in August and I haven't stopped using it since. I made several clothes for my GD and now I am making placemats and napkins for Christmas gifts. Some are quilted and edged with the serger, some are machine embroidered and edged with the serger and some are just reversible and edged with the serger. I love the edging the serger does so much more than the binding that I had to do before I bought the serger. It looks so much more professional. Having the serger to sew clothes with cut the sewing time by about 3/4! I'm also making some silk scarves for the young women on my gift list. Very simple. 2 yds of silk for $30 will make 3 scarves and I can put a rolled hem on them in minutes. Very pretty and inexpensive gifts and so much easier than using my rolled hem attachment on my sewing machine. I had heard remarkable things about what the differential feed would do on the serger and now I can say that it is all true. I wouldn't want to try to sew anything at all with out doing all I could on the serger. It's like the difference between cleaning your carpet with a broom or a vacuum! If you've always used a broom then you don't understand the difference a vacuum will make. The same is true about sewing with a good serger.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:36 PM

I have a Babylock, however mine is really old and it has only 3 threads.
when I bought mine it was starting to sell for home use. Maybe someday soon I will get a new one, but, the Babylock has work really wonderful and I love it.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Thank you, I have been wondering this same thing. I am buying myself one as a graduation present in the spring. I have seen some really cute baby things made with fleece and serged.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:02 PM

I'm a garment sewer who also quilts, and I LOVE my serger. But the only quilting thing I've used it for is serging my fabric ends before prewashing. Otherwise, it's great for sewing knits and for finishing seams.

I have a Necchi, and it's been working great for me since I bought it six years ago. If possible, get a serger from a local fabric store which teaches classes on how to use it. I bought mine following an intro to serging class. I haven't used half the stuff I learned, but it was great to get the exposure.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:12 PM

I have my older Bernina 3 thread serger that I only use now to serge the edges of fabric before washing. Unless you have plans for doing garment sewing, you might want to consider a used one from a dealer.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:41 AM

Ladies, Thank you for all your suggestions...I saw a pattern to make scarves that are done on the serger...and sevral other gifts done on one...also saw a book on how to make quilts with one. I love the finished look of the finshed seams.

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I bought the Babylock Imagine in August and I haven't stopped using it since. I made several clothes for my GD and now I am making placemats and napkins for Christmas gifts. Some are quilted and edged with the serger, some are machine embroidered and edged with the serger and some are just reversible and edged with the serger. I love the edging the serger does so much more than the binding that I had to do before I bought the serger. It looks so much more professional. Having the serger to sew clothes with cut the sewing time by about 3/4! I'm also making some silk scarves for the young women on my gift list. Very simple. 2 yds of silk for $30 will make 3 scarves and I can put a rolled hem on them in minutes. Very pretty and inexpensive gifts and so much easier than using my rolled hem attachment on my sewing machine. I had heard remarkable things about what the differential feed would do on the serger and now I can say that it is all true. I wouldn't want to try to sew anything at all with out doing all I could on the serger. It's like the difference between cleaning your carpet with a broom or a vacuum! If you've always used a broom then you don't understand the difference a vacuum will make. The same is true about sewing with a good serger.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:10 AM

I have an older Bernina - probably about 20 years old - and I love it. Haven't used it in quite a while but I won't get rid of it yet.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by frarose
I have a Babylock self threader and I LOVE it.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: