My new pan

Old 10-13-2011, 03:30 PM

I recently went to an antique center and bought a Hammered Aluminum Dutch oven. Does anyone know if this pan will add a bad flavor to the food? Here is a photo of it with two covered soup bowls I also got.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-270807.jpe
Views:	141
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	270860  
Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 PM

I used to have a club aluminum set when I first got married and I loved it. Don't know if it is true or not but I heard that using the aluminum cookware has shown a higher instance of Alzheimer's but so does drinking from an aluminum can...so I have heard. I love those covered bowls!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

That is just what my mother and grandmother had!! I remember many a pot roast out of that pan. No one in our family has ever had Alzheimer's, but maybe they have been lucky. Thanks for the memories! I didn't think I'd ever see one again.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Oh yes, I got all Club Aluminum in 1953 and used it for years. Then I began to read and hear about the Alzheimer's claim that the metals leeched into our food. Unhappily I got rid of mine after I replace it with Revere Ware. I often wish I had kept some for special cooking needs.

June in Cincinnati
Old 10-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by june6995
Oh yes, I got all Club Aluminum in 1953 and used it for years. Then I began to read and hear about the Alzheimer's claim that the metals leeched into our food. Unhappily I got rid of mine after I replace it with Revere Ware. I often wish I had kept some for special cooking needs.

June in Cincinnati
same here...I find my Revere ware cooks better too!
DH had his grandmother's when we married...sadly it had been passed down and his grandmother had "dimentia", his mom died from brain cancer and his dad now has Dimentia! My Dh was adopted so not BLOOD relation to these people...hope he does not get the Dimentia....
Old 10-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Wonderful stuff. Wish I'd been there first to snap these up.
There is controversy about aluminum but nothing that is proven yet. IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm old! :thumbup:

Also to worry you is if that is old Fiesta Ware. The glaze has lead in it on certain colors. have to research wich ones.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 PM

I was always told to avoid cooking/baking tomato based foods in aluminum if possible. If you do cook with tomatoes in it be sure to take the food out as soon as possible.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 PM

The acids from tomatoes, strawberries & citrus fruits might stain it if left in it too long. My mother's Club Aluminum was her pride & joy. Everything we ate came out of it or a cast iron skillet. Beer out of aluminum cans doesn't have the metallic tang like beer out of steel cans does.

We just recently purchased a Deluxe set of Kitchen Craft stainless steel cookware. We've gone through 3 sets of Analon hard anodized aluminum in 10 years and I hated the last set within 3 weeks. We were extremely disappointed with the quality. Kitchen Craft is ridiculously expensive but it is the last set we'll ever need. It's guaranteed forever.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:31 AM

My DH's mom had one and she used it all the time. She mainly used it for lasagna. No staining there. She passed in 2002 from diabetes. Have no idea where the pot is now.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

I still have mine and use it all the time. Even the new pans sold for cooking rice in the oven are aluminum. My new age stuff doesn't come close. I have it, but greatly prefer this pan and cast iron. I'd be hard to convince any aluminum that came from pan into my food was anywhere near as harmful as the chemicals the mfg put in the food already but thats just me.