Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate math & I have to piece a backing >

I hate math & I have to piece a backing

I hate math & I have to piece a backing

Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Question I hate math & I have to piece a backing

Guys and Gals...

I simply cannot process the math to piece this #*()@$%*U backing. I would post pictures, but have figured out that the pictures from the dang cell phone kill the color and it takes away from the whole piece.

I have a bit of an issue. I have a 25 x 50 table runner. There is a good size piece of the fabric I used for one of the borders. Ideally, I would like to put that on the back, but I don't think there is enough. The piece I have is 39 x 44. Is that enough to cut off some from the width and add it to the length?

If it isn't, I have a few more possibilities. I have a REALLY long scrap, but it isn't very wide. It's 12 3/4 x 110 inches. How would I figure out how many cuts to make, including seam allowances, to get a piece both wide and long enough? Could I somehow add this piece or pieces of this fabric to get the length I'm looking for when combined with the original piece?

Here's another possibility. Same "focus" fabric in the backing, but adding to the length another piece...perhaps on both ends to make it even. It's 36 x 47.

Since neither of the scrap pieces really coordinate SUPER well with the focus piece, and I don't have a favorite of the 2 additional pieces, could I piece those together to make the backing? Maybe the brighter one in the center and the dark ones on the sides, top and bottom. I just can't wrap my head around all the cuts, seam allowances and pieces in order to build a back.

In a moment of exasperation, I threw my entire stash out on the living room floor and just went through it helter skelter. Thankfully, everything I have fits in a little closet, but it was still a big mess and it's EVERYTHING I have so I can't just run to the fab store and buy 2 yards of some type of coordinating fabric even though I know it would make my life easier. If I go into next week and still don't have it figured out...I'll be going through the piggie bank and finding me some fabric no matter what....but I digress.

How can I piece this? It shouldn't be too difficult to piece a backing that's smaller than any quilt I've ever made. Why does it seem so )#%@(!@)%(* hard? I've been sitting here with 8 sheets of notebook paper, my calculator and I just can't get it to work right. Is it really as impossible as it seams?

HELP!

Melissa
Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 PM

I have a 25 x 50 table runner. There is a good size piece of the fabric I used for one of the borders. Ideally, I would like to put that on the back, but I don't think there is enough. The piece I have is 39 x 44. Is that enough to cut off some from the width and add it to the length?
Yes.
If you cut one piece 25 1/2 X44 you will have a strip 13 1/2 ' X44 left over. Cut that left over in half, and you will have 2 pieces 13 1/2 "X 22". Sew the 2 13 1/2" pieces together and you should have something about 26 1/2" X22". Cut that to 25 !/2" X22. You can attach that to your first piece that was 24 1/2"X 44 and you would have a strip long enough for the backing. To make the backing look nicer, I would center the pieced section in the middle by cutting the long strip (25 1/2" X44 in half and then piece the 25 1/2 " pieced strip in the middle. Your backing will be divided into thirds. Center the middle of the pieced strip in the middle and cut to match the front.

I have a REALLY long scrap, but it isn't very wide. It's 12 3/4 x 110 inches.
For this one cut in half, sew the long edges together. You will get a piece 25 X 54 1/2. That should work if you didn't start with the 25" width being the finished width. Just cut off each end ( about 2 1/4") to center the seam in the middle and have the correct length.

You didn't ask but I figure you might need some fabric for the binding. You will need about 160 inches. That will be about 4 strip 40-44 inch width of fabric. If you make you binding 2 1/2 inches wide, you will need 10 inches of 44 inch width fabric.
Remember to cut off selveges before measuring the width of your fabric.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Fabric Calculator is awesome for this. I dig it out whenever I need to do math. Its kind of pricey, but if you use a coupon at joanns it isn't to bad.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 PM

Seems like good calculations Sparky and you even made this look so good planned well.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 PM

I always draw a little sketch of the backing and quilt top to help visualize what I need when I'm buying fabric. When I use fabric from my stash, I lay the backing and top on the floor together to see what I need to do. I hate to figure out the math, too and would rather use a visual approach. However, I do use a calculator to figure the binding and Sparky gave you the info for that! Good luck and don't stress!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

I agree I have fabric calculator and I let it do the math for me it is really great.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 PM

I agree with Irdesignsquilting. Drawing a sketch will help you visualize your end results. I often do that when I need to clear my mind and figure things out. LOL!! with the help of a calculator of couse - good luck!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:24 AM

I'm so pathetic at math I just lay the backing fabric on the top then fold, refold, and fold again to figure out how I have to piece it.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:40 AM

I am thinking there is no need for math... piece the backing with a 2.5" strip in the middle. If it is not long enough, start sewing 2.5" strips on each end. More width? Add more 2.5" strips. I am SO NOT INTO doing math for a piecing job like this.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 AM

I have been thinking about getting a fabric calculator. I am heading north to babysit GS tomorrow (Veteran's Day), and he loves to shop in Joann's. Does it just give yardage? Or does it do a layout. I am visually (mentally) piecing challenged, and this would be great.

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
I agree I have fabric calculator and I let it do the math for me it is really great.