Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
would you eat WOOD...but you do already! >

would you eat WOOD...but you do already!

would you eat WOOD...but you do already!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:04 PM

BellaBoo. I've never met anyone who didn't buy bread products or even flour, oats , spices, baking powder, etc ,before. Do you have buy all your own beef and pork on the hoof and have it butchered? Never buy anything that is canned? I can't imagine trying to live without purchasing food that doesn't have preservatives added to it. Not buying items that have been irradiated to kills germs. I know how every hard it is to buy food without gluten in it; if I also was trying to avoid all chemicals, antibiotics and radiation I would just go crazy.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:56 AM

I guess the only way to make sure none of the junk ends up in our foods is make our own. But it is time consuming. And not everyyone has the room to grow their own veggies etc. Or even have access to local farmers. I am very careful anymore with reading labels. And I think I would prefer to have whole grain fibers. Oats for me since I am having trouble with gluten rather than wood pulp.
Soylent Green anyone. LOL
Old 11-24-2011, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Bella Boo and think of food more these days as fuel than entertainment. We went to Amish country last week and ate a lot of their wonderful baked goods but paid for it dearly for 2 days!! My body is used to good foods and rebelled like you wouldn't believe!! I was tired, sluggish, and just felt awful.
I didn't read the article but I will not under any circumstances eat at fast food places.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 PM

If you haven't already, read Fast Food Nation. It will make you look at food very differently. The "maple" syrup at McDonald's has over 40 different chemicals in it to make it taste like maple. We don't eat anything canned or processed. We grow our own organically. We planted a small orchard and work farm markets for an organic beef farmer. We work for beef. I wouldn't get any vaccines because of all of the junk in them. We are seniors and feel great. We only have 1.25 acres of land. We even get suntanned in summer from being out in the garden. We have purified well water and I carry a thermos everywhere so I don't have to drink "city" water. Yes, it takes a little work but it is worth it.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 PM

I am curious how you continue your life style when you travel.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:39 PM

How can you tell when oranges are ripe. I know it is not when they change color from green to orange because they can still be extremely bitter/tart. Obviously in the green stage they really aren't ripe. Otherwise how can you tell.

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
I don't buy any of those things mentioned....I make my own syrup, jams, icecreams, breads and desserts..my cheeses are bought by the hunk and I grate them myself. I can't imagine what a family's food bill is when all the ready made stuff is added on, especially the soft drinks (they don't enter my house)...I live for the cirtrus season when I can squeeze all the oranges I want right here in my yard.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Susan Hansen12228 View Post
If you haven't already, read Fast Food Nation. It will make you look at food very differently. The "maple" syrup at McDonald's has over 40 different chemicals in it to make it taste like maple. We don't eat anything canned or processed. We grow our own organically. We planted a small orchard and work farm markets for an organic beef farmer. We work for beef. I wouldn't get any vaccines because of all of the junk in them. We are seniors and feel great. We only have 1.25 acres of land. We even get suntanned in summer from being out in the garden. We have purified well water and I carry a thermos everywhere so I don't have to drink "city" water. Yes, it takes a little work but it is worth it.
Sounds wonderful. Its the way I would live if I could. :-)
Old 11-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Kas

"Soylent Green is people!" I love that movie! Yes, anything processed is bad for you whether it has cellulose or not. I keep thinking of my favorite pet peeve....bamboo batting is no longer bamboo but rayon! Be educated about what you buy and be healthier with more $ in your pocket.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 PM

I think the food we eat is important to our health. I have a brother who is nearly 85 and his wife is 83. They have always been thin and energetic and healthy. I think it's because they grew their own food, even their beef. None of my other siblings have (or will) live as long as they have.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 PM

I think a lot of your health is due to your inherited DNA. My mother had survived cancer 3 times and still lived to the age of 98. Her sisters died at the ages of 94 and 95. They all ate canned and processed foods from the grocery stores and loved to eat out at restaurants. I think they had inherited longevity.