Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter >

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Old 01-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

Ouch! I feel the pain. I sliced my index finger last Sunday. All was going fine and then before I knew it, using my small 1" x 6" ruler was cutting a small piece of fabric, and sliced my finger. Took three paper towels before the bleeding slowed up enough for me to decide if I needed stitches. Thought about it. Then..... cleaned it while I was getting it to stop bleeding, Cleaned it with water and rubbing alcohol, placed the skin flap back onto the area it belonged and applied super glue to the edge line. Waited for the glue to dry, and put a large band aid on it. 5 days later the skin is reattached, and healing well. Pain is only an occasional throb. I love my super glue!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 PM

Sweetpeaches - someone else had posted earlier about not using peroxide. She said that she was told this at the ER I believe (or an urgent care center - my memory is often faulty!). The reasoning was that it kills both the bad and the good bacteria. Funny, all my life I have heard about how cuts and such should be cleaned with peroxide! Maybe it isn't a bad idea at first, but should not be continued after the initial clean. Better yet - I would sure rather avoid cutting myself!

KimS - I am a few days ahead of you with the healing. I hope yours gets better quickly as well. I had much less pain/discomfort with mine today. I have gotten used to keeping it out of the way, but did still manage to bump it a couple of times today. Wasn't near as bad as it was even yesterday, thankfully. Didn't kick off the throbbing. Good signs I think.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:49 AM

I did the same thing a few months ago. Same finger, and I treated it the same way you did.....peroxide, neosporin, and bandage. I kept repeating that, and it healed well and fast. I was using my cutter in low light because I was in a hurry to make one last cut, but never again! I won't let myself get in a hurry now, and I make sure I have good lighting.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:52 AM

My best quilting buddie just did this last SAT. Text me ans ask when do you know you need stitches.WOW she cut her whole tip of figured off.The problem is I bought her a pair of gloves for Christmas .Did she wear them. NO.I feel your pain.I did this a year ago and had to have 6 stitches.I bought my gloves.Run don't walk!!!!! to Jo Anns and buy a pair.So worth the money. Every quilter need to get a pair.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:06 AM

This brings up memories. I sliced a chunk off the same finger last summer. I was using a shape cutter ruler and just slicing away strips - put my finger in the wrong place. It stopped bleeding when I put a tight bandage on it which stopped the bleeding. The next morning it was throbbing - took bandage off and it started spurting blood. Had to go to urgent care where doctor put something on it which stopped the bleeding - took quite a while to heal. Finger is a little mishapened and site is tender to the touch. I did buy a glove and an accuquilt. Hope I have learned my lesson to pay more attention. Happy healing and don't beat yourself up - it was an accident.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:07 AM

Get a glove like Fons and Porter uses..a rotary cutter will not cut through it..may keep you from doing it again..I cut the end of my index finger off..got caught in a stormdoor..the Dr. just laid the flap back up and bandaged it..I was only 8yrs.old..still have a scar..they would have to soak in in cool water to get the dressing off..if you keep your hand elevated above you heart..it helps with the throbbing..mine took 2 months to reattach..
Old 01-21-2012, 07:11 AM

I once cut my finger with a pair of scissors and had to have stitches.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
Ok, so this happened on Friday night. I was using the pinking rotary cutter and happily cutting - when it happened. Didn't even feel it (though I have felt it plenty since!). Question - anyone out there having had this experience - does this kind of thing heal on it's own? About how long does it take? No sign of infection. But the tip of my finger - doesn't take much for it to start throbbing. Starting to wonder if I should go to the doctor. And yet - thinking what can they do at this point - and again - no sign of infection.

It's the right side top of my left index finger. The flap of skin was almost severed (maybe 1/2 inch long by a about 1/4 inch wide, several layers of skin). It was still attached in the center. While I considered going to the Urgent Care center, I decided against it because it wasn't so much that the cut was deep. There didn't seem to be anything to stitch.

I held pressure on it until it stopped bleeding (took a bit). Poured hydrogen peroxide on it (boy did that sting). Then covered it in neosporin and wrapped well in gauze and taped. I kept it like this through Saturday (cleaned it a couple of times, changed the gauze). On Sunday I decided it probably needed to dry some so it could start healing.

The bottom of the flap of skin looks like it has reattached. I didn't think that is possible - not sure if that is what happened. But it is sealed up around the bottom. The top oozes a little here and there. A blood clot was under the top edge. I actually cut that little bit off this morning (cleaned the clipper well, this part was kind of sticking up on my finger). Put neosporin on it again this morning since I cut that little bit off. I am a secretary - but find that I can't type in an extended fashion (the constant tat-tat-tat on the keyboard ends up hurting, but pecking away for small bits seems ok). Kind of wondering how long it will take to heal. I have had somewhat deep cuts before (sliced finger on can or with knife) - but I don't remember it still hurting a week later. Again, doesn't hurt constantly - but doesn't take much to set off the throbbing.

You can bet I pay closer attention to where my fingers are at on my ruler now!!! Have read where people recommend a little gripper thing. Might just add that to my arsenal. This is one experience I don't want to repeat! Kind of wondering if the side of my finger will be misshapen. Oh - and I didn't realize how much one bumps their finger on things in the course of a day. A lot!!!
sorry about your finger, my doctors says after you clean a injury the first time with hydrogen peroxide , don't use it again on new tissue that's healing, the hydrogen peroxide will damage the new tissue.. call your addvise nurse at your doctors office about this..
Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 AM

I did the same thing the second week of quilting (I havent' been quilting that long). Boy did I learn a lesson that day. It doesnt sound quite as deep as yours but it was deep and my hand shook for a little while (shock?). I thought that after I wash it and wrap it as long as it stops bleeding it should be okay. If it was deeper I guess I would have had to go to the doctor. Anyway, it healed with a tiny scar that you really can't see and doesn't bother me at all. I always think of that when I get out the rotary cutter. Hope you are back to quilting soon.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 AM

Ouch! So Sorry you cut your finger. Gotta be careful