Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leaving the paper in on Paper Piecing????? >

Leaving the paper in on Paper Piecing?????

Leaving the paper in on Paper Piecing?????

Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I do lots of PP and have never heard of using freezer paper. It would be way to heavy and not tear out from the seam. Others may have more info on a freezer paper method for you but it sounds weird to me.
I use either tracing paper or the packaged paper made for PP. Just use it in your copier and make as many copies as you need for your project. The idea of not removing the paper probably refers to the time untill you sew the blocks together. Then you remove the paper. I like to remove the 'inner paper' (not near seams) before sewing the sections into the blocks. Then tear the rest of the paper off after the sections are sewn into the finished blocks. I like to get rid of the paper after each block is completed because doing it all at the end of making the quilt is just tedious and miserable work. After removing the paper from the block I spray starch it on the back to help it hold its shape. After I complete the first row of blocks I will sew them together and countinue this row by row until the quilt is done.
Hope this helps some!
peace
Old 01-25-2012, 06:33 PM

For traditional paper piecing I use plain old copy paper, lower my stitch length to 1.5. I keep the paper intact until units are joined to complete a block (if a block is made up more than one unit). Once a block is done I peel off my paper. I'm seeing some techiques described above that I'm going to have to explore as I've not tried them. I have used Carol Doak's paper which is about 1/3 of the cost of vellum. I've never tried vellum.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I have used freezer paper to use as a guide for a pp pattern but as someone already wrote, I do not sew through the paper. I use the zipper foot to align agains the next line and sew against the paper. Then I open the pattern by the next segment and keep working that way. Personally, I find freezer paper too rigid for pp. Plus, when I use regular paper I can use a little spritz of water to help get the paper off - that won't work with freezer paper.

If you use freezer paper and you plan to sew through the paper, make sure to decrease your stitch length (actually that is a guideline for all pp)

As for ironing the fabric on the freezer paper, I would find that bothersome because you generally have to trim part of the overlap (paper-pieced fabric scraps are usually not precut to size) and if they are ironed onto the paper, you need to then peel it off.

The pp patterns often show the 1/4" edge which you need to sew the blocks together. If you have paper on both blocks all the way to the edge, that is quite a bit of paper to have to peel off the joint seam.

Good luck
i do NOT have seams on my freezer paper... i cut the picture with no seams...from the picture... then sew right next to the edge of the paper....
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 AM

There is a freezer paper piecing method, and with that method, you don't actually sew on the paper. I prefer the traditional paper piecing method. When the quilt is DONE, then I remove all the paper. I guess that you could technically leave the paper on and eventually after enough washings, the paper would probably disintegrate.