Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeing is Believing - Pre-washing >

Seeing is Believing - Pre-washing

Seeing is Believing - Pre-washing

Old 03-08-2012, 04:51 AM

WOW! I am sure to prewash now.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 AM

I pre-wash adamantly -- too much work goes into a quilt to take a chance. I have not, however, heard of Retayne... I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the post.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 AM

I had a piece of raspberry red fabric that was the perfect color but it would never stop bleeding. By time I'd rinsed it several times it wasn't raspberry red anymore. I tossed it.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045 View Post
Question.........has anyone had the colors ever run using cold instead of lukewarm water when washing?
YES!! I always prewash, but was part of a BOM for a year at a fabric store. The small pieces of fabric were given to us each month and were just barely big enough to make the square, so no preshrinking was possible. It took a year and some months to finish and hand quilt it. When washed in cold water, the cranberry red (Moda) bled into the beige. I have put it away and haven't looked at it for over 5 years. Maybe i should try washing it in cold water with a color catcher? I don't think those were around when I made the quilt. I never buy batiks...like the look, but don't like the fading/bleed out.

Last edited by coopah; 03-08-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 AM

Wow that scares me, I never pre-wash. I will now, what do you do with the jelly roll's? Do you wash it after it is pieced?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM

Great visual demo! That is why I wash everything before I use it.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
To keep from fraying, trim cut ends with pinking shears. I hope someone else can solve the tangling problem!
I don't trim, clip, serge, or stay stitch the edges of new fabric. Way too much trouble. I keep a pair of scissors on top of the dryer and trim any long loose threads after the wash cycle (top loader) before fabrics go in the dryer. I make sure they're flat before tossing them in the dryer, too.

It works perfectly for me. Haven't had a tangled, wrinkled, knotted fabric in years of prewashing everything I buy from fat quarters to double digit yardage. The bonus is I get to use the 'thread trash' as embellishment for art quilts.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by turner0106 View Post
Has anyone every used one of the color catchers they sell in the laundry isle? Not sure of the name brand
I use "Shout" brand colour catcher - find it works well, but I want to try "Retayne" since I like the idea that it sets the colour rather than "catching" it.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
Since the LQS told me not to prewash, I haven't been doing it. My DD washed my GS's quilt with the color catcher and, fortunately, it did not run or bleed. After reading this post, I think I will prewash my mid to dark colors and definitely do the Q-tip test (brilliant!) on all my colors. I do have a couple of questions, though: how do you keep the fabric from fraying and tangling in the washer and, after washing, do you starch your fabric before cutting, since there is no sizing left in it. Also, if you starch, what kind of starch is recommended? Thanks, I'm still learning!
I use pinking shears on the cut ends to help prevent fraying. It doesen't prevent it all, but it does help. I do prewash almost everything with detergent and color catchers. I just made an OhioStar in red and white and had to wash the reds 4 times before the color catcher didn't pick up any more color. Better there then after all the work and quilting!!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 AM

I've never used Retayne but I am curious to try it.