Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with lots of different fabric? >

What to do with lots of different fabric?

What to do with lots of different fabric?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM

The first 20 or so quilts my dad made when he retired had no rhyme or reason to them. He used whatever fabrics my mom had saved over the previous 40 years or so. They were great quilts!! So, go for it....use whatever you have. There really are no quilt police. :-)
Old 03-19-2012, 03:37 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

A string quilt does seem like the best idea. I just got done with a string quilt block and love it. Nothing matched and it looks really great!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by KR View Post
You could visit www.quiltville.com and read about Bonnie Hunter's system of taming her scraps and stash. She specializes in scrap quilt designs and has a very systematic approach to separating colors and cutting scraps for future use. After attending one of her lectures recently I've gotten hooked on reading her blog every day.
Yes, yes, yes & more yes! Bonnie Hunter works wonders with such disperate scraps you'd be surprised. I love her stuff (of course, I love scrap quilts). Another suggestion is to look at the scrap quilt thread here on the board for some inspiration.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I would do a string quilt because the variety of strips makes the pattern look great. Here is a link to some beautiful examples in our Quilt Gallery http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/s...lts-b2192.html
Looking at these quilts was so inspiring. I have some ugly fabrics I acquired from someone who's mother dies and she wanted to get rid of them. Now I think I'll cut them into strips and make a string scrappy!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:12 PM

All good advice. Not convinced? Try this: arrange your fabrics so about only 2" of each is showing. Separate lights and darks first. Then take a picture. That can give you the idea of what they would look like together. You could show us that too.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Dee

I am using my stash. Its working out just fine. Its a big surprise opening the boxes. Its new all over again.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 PM

I've read these things about scraps:

Any fabrics, cut small enough, go together just fine.

In the 1950's, everybody thought that every fabric went with every other fabric.

Go for it!

P.S.: There are NO quilt police. Do what you love. If precise piecing is not your thing, do wonky.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM

Recently I made a couple table toppers fro our house. Keepsake Quilting used to send you tons of 1inch squares when you joined there Gold club. I sorted them by color and did 9 patches of different color prints. Blue, orange, yellow, brown, red, white, black. Then I used sold sashing one has navy blue and one has hunter green I did a black white and gray one too. My DH and kids have been fighting over those things, you would be surprised what you can come up with!! Make some toppers for Christmas presents out of scraps if quilt tops aren't your thing or for your home to decorate tables, dressers or a wall space. Have fun!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 AM

My first scrappy quilt was made from horrible fat quarters that I hated but felt I had to use up before I bought new fabric. I cut them into strips and/or blocks and jut closed my eyes when it came to adding the next piece and sewed. Everything was random. That's the hardest part of scrappy quilting....we keep wanting it to make sense..we want to control the out come. I think doing a scrappy quilt is a good way of loosing the creative bent that we all have and can be a big step to beginning to trust our sense of how to put together a "regular" quilt.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 AM

Try www.laundrybasketquilts.com she has some great ideas for scraps and strips.