Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Blocks - Vintage or Not? >

Quilt Blocks - Vintage or Not?

Quilt Blocks - Vintage or Not?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM

I think the ads on the papers is interesting.............I have some that were done on catalog pages mens underware. Sometimes I have taken them to guild as new members come in and they think it is a hoot...........the ads...........I don't know where Peck is but if your around Flint you could attend my guild...............calla
Old 04-11-2012, 05:43 AM

There are 3 small, 24 medium and 47 large ones.....74 total
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM

My grandmother and mother used to quilt these, called strip blocks. Whatever size scraps they had they would sew them on newspaper squares, some were bigger than others. When they had enough for a quilt they either sashed them or sewed them without sashing. These were utility quilts. I have one now that some of the fabrics have wasted away and I'm trying to find older fabric to replace the bad spots. This one I have was made in the early 50's.
Also have one made in the 40's and looks hopeless at this point, but hoping to recover some of it.

Hope this helps.

delma
Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM

I've heard this technique called string piecing. Bonnie Hunter has quilts made with this technique on her website. You might look there for inspiration on what to do with them.

Did you find dates on the newspaper ads? That might give you a clue as to age of the fabrics.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
My grandmother and mother used to quilt these, called strip blocks. Whatever size scraps they had they would sew them on newspaper squares, some were bigger than others. When they had enough for a quilt they either sashed them or sewed them without sashing. These were utility quilts. I have one now that some of the fabrics have wasted away and I'm trying to find older fabric to replace the bad spots. This one I have was made in the early 50's.
Also have one made in the 40's and looks hopeless at this point, but hoping to recover some of it.

Hope this helps.

delma
Thanks for sharing Delma....it makes perfect sense. I wish you good luck and much success with restoring your family quilts....it is priceless to have them!
Nancy
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM

Yes I did 1978 thru 1981