Any Beagle lovers?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 AM

So cute..Thanks for sharing pic.<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>
Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 AM

I had a beagle for many many years. She was more obedient than my children! She's beautiful.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 AM

We have 2 beagles, Toby (10 and Mollie (6). They are the best. They love to cuddle and love being around people. Toby is our food guzzler. both are laid back. If yours gets loose do not chase her but try to have her follow you. Chasing them they think you are on a hunt or want to play. PM me if you want. You will love maggie. She looks a little like our Mollie.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 AM

I have a puggle which is half beagle and half pug. She is the sweetest dog but very vocal. She loves people and a lot of attention.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM

We had a beagle-lab mix and he was the best dog!!! Not vocal and never ran off. He did gain weight after we had to have him fixed for a health issue when he was 7 yrs old. My cousins purebred female beagle had to be kept on a leash when outside or she was gone.... overweight also. Bless you for adopting!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 AM

I raised 4 orphan beagles from about 4 days old to adulthood, had a litter of beagles, and have picked up two beagles off the road where they had been dumped. I really, really love beagles, but I probably won't ever go out of my way to get another. I live in the country with a huge fenced yard. My dogs spend a lot of time inside. Whenever the beagles were outside, they made it their mission to find a way out of the yard. They were the ultimate "pokey little puppies" whose mother told them not to go over the fence, under the fence, through the fence, or around the fence. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't keep them fenced. I haven't had that much of a problem with my other dogs. If I can't keep them fenced, I can't keep them safe. Two were run over, one was attacked by other dogs, and one was poisoned.

Here are links to the two beagle quilts I've made. I kept one and the other was raffled off to raise money for the animal shelter.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t156430.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t179872.html
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 AM

I've had five 20-pound rescue beagles... three of them at once. The first one was a lap dog, but the other four weren't. (I was looking for a lap dog!) They all have very different personalities.

One of them couldn't be contained. She would climb over a five-foot fence with a shock collar set on high with no delay. Her neck was an oosing mess from the shocks. She didn't care. All of the neighbors were trained in search and rescue for her. The thing that worked the best for her was a spiral-shapped stake that you screwed into the ground. There was a long vinyl-covered metal line attached to it. It was long enough that she could do some running around on it for exercise. She was on that for a year before she was able to break it.

None of them barked at the doorbell which I thought was strange. I could usually get them to "sing" if I would howl at them.

I never fed them "people" food, and was able to control their weight that way.

Don't ever make a "just this once" exception to the rules. They are just like children. If you let them get away with something once, they'll always want to get away with it.

They are hard to house break. I always use Nature's Miracle to treat any spot where they have peed. If you don't get rid of the odor completely, they will return to it to soil again. I've saved a couch with that product.

They are challenging, but they are my favorite breed.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 AM

There is nothing like a beagle. We have had 3 mixed breed beagles. Cannot be left off leash. Will steal food in a heartbeat. Signals for needing to go out...panting,walking back and forth and sitting by the door (once they get the connection). If you think you can manage it , consider getting the other dog she was put up for adoption with. Dogs -esp. beagles - are pack animals and love company. Best wishes.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 AM

My beagle is nearly 10, I've had her 8 years and she STILL chooses whether to be housetrained at any given moment or not. Having said that, she's a great pup who never met a stranger.....and she's truly food obsessed like the others have warned you about. However, it it's sweet, she will not touch it. Go figure. And BTW---she's never gotten where she can be outside without either a fence or leash. My four other dogs can, but not her.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks for all the advice! After just 24 hours, we're in love with her. She has not barked much, has not peed in the house again (we take her out whether she signals for it or not). She has accepted her crate -- goes in it to nap -- and slept in it fine last night for six hours with no accidents.

I can see that ticks will be an issue, however. There are lots of them in the woods here. We pulled a half dozen off her yesterday. We're checking her over every time she's outside. We did put the flee and tick stuff on her yesterday, which the Humane Soc. apparently had not been doing. Does anyone have experience with tick repellant? Should we use it more than once a month? Can we?

Keep it coming! I'm a newbie at this.