Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need pattern ideas for men's quilt >

Need pattern ideas for men's quilt

Need pattern ideas for men's quilt

Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 AM

Default Need pattern ideas for men's quilt

I want to make my brother a quilt for his apartment for Christmas. I have no idea what pattern to use. I have 8 colors, 4 shades of light to dark brown and 4 shades of light to dark blue. I can use all or some. I have about a yard and a half of each color and the quilt needs to fit a full size futon. He recently split from his long time girlfriend and is living in a small studio apartment. He's about to turn 50.

Can you give me some pattern ideas that are easy (I had carpal tunnel surgery a week ago and need it to be as easy on my left hand as possible) and free.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 AM

The men in my family think that any pattern that is any sort of "checkerboard" alternating colors is very feminine and if given a traditional quilt would put a comforter on top of it! LOL! I would suggest you use your colors in a striped pattern. Lght brown stripes then darker brown stripes on the inside of the quilt top to bottom. Put the blue stripes on the sides of the quilt. No pattern, just an arrangement of colored stripes.
Very masculine.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

What about Bears Paw- even has a manly name here is the block from Quilterscache

http://quilterscache.com/B/BearPawBlock.html

Disappearing 9 patch ?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Banned

I've made Blockade twice for men - they loved it
I've also made a double 9-patch in browns and blues
An Irish chain in my grandson's la crosse team colours
Father's Day (from a Patchwork Plus book) in blues and white.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 AM

Rail fence, bow tie, 9 Patch, or any star pattern would look good for a man. The blues and browns will give it the manly look. I can't wait to see what you do!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 AM

I did a D9P for my son in flannels - lodge, camping and hunting prints - he loves it (and so do my grandchildren). Its the fabric choice that determines a 'man's' quilt more than anything else - that's what men see. Add some buttons, prairie points, etc., for texture if you can. I did buttons - the more primitive ones...added a nice little touch to the quilt.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
What about Bears Paw- even has a manly name here is the block from Quilterscache

http://quilterscache.com/B/BearPawBlock.html

Disappearing 9 patch ?
I like the bear claw pattern, so I'm going to try that one! I'm thinking that the way she has the block split with the two back grounds will give me a way to go the browns on one side and the blues on the other. I'll try one block first to see how it looks. I love that the blocks are 14" too...shouldn't take too too many to make a full size quilt.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
I did a D9P for my son in flannels - lodge, camping and hunting prints - he loves it (and so do my grandchildren). Its the fabric choice that determines a 'man's' quilt more than anything else - that's what men see. Add some buttons, prairie points, etc., for texture if you can. I did buttons - the more primitive ones...added a nice little touch to the quilt.
I was thinking about prairie points, as a border, correct? And maybe a couple different flanges? I'll decide all that one I have the blocks done. It'll take me a while, I will only have a few hours each week to work on it, that's why I'm starting it now for Christmas.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 AM

These are my 8 colors.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01813.JPG
Views:	7403
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	333510  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM

A disappearing nine patch is fast, easy and all straight seam! It's fun to play with the blocks when you get them cut into 4 pieces. If you make the 9 patch large it really goes together fast. I am working on a man's quilt in flannels and it's made from 8-1/2" squares = 24" block before you cut the 9 patch in 4.