Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4-H and Quilters!! >

4-H and Quilters!!

4-H and Quilters!!

Old 05-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

Default 4-H and Quilters!!

Many of us give credit to 4-H for developing our early sewing abilities, and leading us towards our quilting passions.

Did you know ... that today is the birthday of 4-H?

On this day in 1901, 4-H Clubs were begun by an Iowa school teacher, Jessie Field Shaqmbaugh at the Goldenrod School.

The four H's are head. heart, hands and health.
The goal of 4-H is to develop citizenship, leadership, responsibility and life skills of qyout through exp0eriential learning programs and a positive youth development approach.

The motto of 4-H is "Learn to Do by Doing".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many of us live the 4-H motto, as we continually develop our quilting skills.

Have you honoured 4-H in any way in your quilting projects?
Please show us what you have done ....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you Jessie!
Happy 111th Birthday, 4-H!!

Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Some will be interested to know, that yes, 4-H certainly moved northwards into Canada. While there were some earlier 4-H clubs, the formalaization as a national group was not until 2013. Big plans are in store for celebrations next year ... with some earlier events already starting.

When I was working on my FWS quilt, I felt it was important to include a 4-H block, as my appreciation to 4-H and it's role in my life .... past, present and yes, future! You don't have to look to hard to find it ... front row and centre!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]332839[/ATTACH]

And now that my PC quilt will be completed in late 2012 or early 2013, I will again be creating a block to honour 4-H and celebrate it's 100th Canadian Birthday!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FWS-Finale 013.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	332839  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I met my DH through 4-H. From what I understand, there are many more things/projects to choose from than there were in the 1950's. (That sure sounds like a looooong time ago - and it was!)

Spectacular quilt, too!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM

I pledge
My head to clearer thinking,
My heart to greater loyalty,
My hands to larger service,
And my health for better living
for my club, my community and my country.
(my world was added after I was out of 4-H).

I was a 4-H member for 10 years (a rarity in our club......I was in as long as one could be in from 8 years old to 18 years old. I learned tons of things but my favorite was sewing! I learned to sew clothes in 4-H and transferred over to quilting years later. But I did learn a lot of neat things there......many happy childhood memories because of 4-H!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

For many of us the blood still runs GREEN!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 PM

I was in 4-H for about 6 years. County Fair demonstrations, learning to sew by hand and making a sewing kit from a cigar box covered with contact paper, even Camp Counselor for a few years teaching Nature Science. My group leader is now in her late 80's and we meet at a local church for donation sewing.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Happy Birthday 4H. I am a former 4Her...mom to three adult children who were 10 year 4H members and DH and I are currently leaders in 2 different clubs. I love 4H!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:44 PM

My granddaughter is a 4th generation 4-Her. 20+ projects to be ready in July. Was the best experience as a kid and I believe it is still a great program. How many of you donate to your local or state programs? Consider volunteering or a cash contribution to keep the program funded.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

I work with our newly formed county Alumni group. We have now enough funds to give college scholarships to graduating seniors and more importantly help defray the cost of joining 4-H. Yes it costs to be a member of 4-H. I'm sure that wasn't the case for many of us.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I work with our newly formed county Alumni group. We have now enough funds to give college scholarships to graduating seniors and more importantly help defray the cost of joining 4-H. Yes it costs to be a member of 4-H. I'm sure that wasn't the case for many of us.

Yes, it costs to be a member here too! Considerable fundraising is done locally and provincially to help defray the fees and to minimize the costs for 4-H'ers who "win" travelling scholarships to conferences/camps and other provinces/countries.