Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Miss You All & the Block Exchanges! >

Miss You All & the Block Exchanges!

Miss You All & the Block Exchanges!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:56 PM

Default Miss You All & the Block Exchanges!

I can't believe how much I've missed the board! I've been drowning in my new Engineering job. I was doing those Boomerang swaps and really getting in great practice for my paper piecing skills.

But then I found myself with a ton of UFO's (lots of blocks from swaps but no tops/quilts) so I set my goal to finish those tops before doing another swap. But what happened is that I quit sewing all together!

What is it about swaps that gets us to dig into our stash and pattern books and then do other quilting projects? I may not be finishing my UFO's but oh well, I'm building a big pile of UFO options! hee hee

I wish there was a SWAP that made me finish these UFO's. I have 2 quilts that need to be stippled and I really should start with them. Ever notice how much of a cramp it puts in your quilting MoJo when you try to "schedule" or "plan" the projects? I really just have to let it all go and do what feels right that day (and then somehow I get a ton done!).

I suppose that's right, since the rest of my life is all about planning/scheduling/etc (I live by my Outlook calendar most days). So my soul-enriching hobby must be completely uninhibited by schedules and task lists. haha

Have you all found this to be true too? Creativity is cramped in the sewing room when there are too many requirements imposed? Like promised presents, finishing UFOs, etc.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 PM

Understand what you mean about deadlines taking the fun out! Maybe that's why I have Christmas/birthday quilts that are 1-2 years late...and still not finished. LOL!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Understand what you mean about deadlines taking the fun out! Maybe that's why I have Christmas/birthday quilts that are 1-2 years late...and still not finished. LOL!
So glad to read your post! lol I was planning to make quilts for all of my 11 grandchildren for Christmas this year. Needless to say, it's probably not going to happen. I know, big undertaking for a first-year quilter. I've got # 3 & 4 nearly finished, and a fifth one started. I think I've already talked myself out of meeting my own deadline, but at least the kids don't know about them, so will just give the ones that are done and work on the rest for next year...maybe the year after...well, we'll see what happens! lol
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM

EXACTLY! I have a wedding quilt ready to FMQ... and their anniversary is this month! 1st, but still. I told them right up front it will be done all in good time. I have a full time job so my quilting takes a long time.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM

I'm working on four of the same scrap quilts for my staff, and am swaping 1.5" squares to make a postage stamp quilt, and am up to my ears at work.. I don't have UFO's, but feel like screaming, and advising everyone that I want o play with my sewing machines, and to leave me alone.. My nephew showed up at my place last night, and wanted to know what I was making for dinner, and if I could drive him home after.. He ended up taking the salsa, and chips, and took the LIRR home.. ughhhh
Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 PM

Yeah, I hate it when people interfere with your sewing time! Hey kid, that's why God made McDonald's!! ;-)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Sounds like we need a UFO Challenge of some kind!

I ran one of these at our local guild this past year and the idea was well received. We premiered our (U)FOs at the Spring Luncheon and there were two great basket prizes won, including one for the oldest UFO (15 years!).

Among the things we did was suggest several ways for UFOs to be completed:
1. Finish your own/keep your own.
2. Trade with another UFO-er to finish each others, but keep your own when finished.
3. Give away a UFO forever. This included blocks or portions of quilts.
Each month's participants - those who brought one, just finished or for trade/give-away, - received a fat quarter choice and a gag gift appropriate to the theme of procrastinating....jazzy reading glasses for "seeing your way clear"; a rubber ball for "getting on the ball"; a feather duster for "dusting off the cobwebs"; and other fun items.

Maybe after the first of the new year, when Christmas projects are over, someone can take on a challenge for UFOs.

Jan in VA (NOT necessarily volunteering - just suggesting!!)
Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 AM

Yeah, the deadline thing is a real stopper. I was going to make a quilt for a graduation present, had 2 months to get it done, it is now resting with the rest of my UFOs.
I think JAN IN VA had a great idea, but I'm not volunteering either, just agreeing
Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 AM

I have found that the only deadlines when it comes to quilting are the ones you place on yourself.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 PM

Love your idea Jan! I just need to get back into the groove. :-)

You're right Deb, but I think the only way to avoid feeling "deadlined" is to avoid making quilts specifically for anyone/any occasion. I should just make what I want and then determine who will get it.

I did finish a baby quilt for a baby shower. But it was painful! haha. Turned out gorgeous though.