Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheater fabric >

Cheater fabric

Cheater fabric

Old 08-03-2012, 02:47 AM

Very interesting information. Now I know what a cheaters panel is!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:24 AM

I bought these fabrics to practice with my new long-arm. I never thought about them as backing but I love that idea. Thanks for the suggestions and the websites.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 AM

As a handquilter I love "cheater's cloth". It is so much easier to do fine quilting without all of those messy seams. I have two queen size "whole cloth" quilts I completed several years ago that would stand up to anyone's work. When you work with a preprinted or marked piece you don't have to worry about seams or inconsistences in the grain or quality of the fabric. In the world of quilting, "patchwork" is a recent trend developed by woman who couldn't afford to use good fabric to make bedding for their families. Clothing items were quilted for warmth hundreds of years before they were common as bed coverings.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
Here's a site that sells lots of them. I personally don't see a thing wrong with them. When I was first learning to hand quilt, I used several & then donated them to kids' charities.

http://www.pre-printed-quilt-tops.com/
Wow...what a big selection that site has. I bet once you quilted them it would be hard to tell the difference. Great site !
Old 08-03-2012, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i am going to jump right in here & be CRABBY! what a HORRIBLE- NEGATIVE term to apply to a wonderful useful piece of fabric!
i have never understood the whole (negative- CHEATER) reference some people place on panals- I have made some absolutely beautiful- expensive quilts using panal fabrics- i did not CHEAT- i worked hard- and created a beautiful item- which took many hours- it is no different than using any other piece of printed fabric- in my mind-anyone who considers a panal a cheater- should not be using anything except solids- ever- they should not even look at a print fabric.
there is no reason to place something so negative on a valuable resource....and panals can become fabulous quilts and other items- just like the other fabrics we use-
ok- off my soap-box for today-
I've wanted to say this for years. I don't see any difference between using panels and fussy cutting to get the print you want. Moreover, I have made some lovely quilts and bedspreads from 108 inch fabric that was perfect for what I needed. Right on, ckcowl. I'm on your side. froggyintexas
Old 08-03-2012, 04:25 AM

To me it's just patchwork printed fabric.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:45 AM

I have an acquaintance who makes what she calls "cheater quilts". She purchased fabric with the design printed, then sews all together by sewing machine and pays someone to quilt it. She says she's a quilter. Hey, whatever works!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:58 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Omgoodness didn't know there was a term for that one .. I have quilted quite a few of them then and not even knew the term for it. Learn something new every day for sure !!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
Here's a site that sells lots of them. I personally don't see a thing wrong with them. When I was first learning to hand quilt, I used several & then donated them to kids' charities.

http://www.pre-printed-quilt-tops.com/
Thanks, great site! The prices are very reasonable for 90inch wide!
Has anyone tried them, how is the quality of the cotton?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 AM

My GD has a beautful quilt from "cheater blocks".