Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine throwing a fit...chewing up corner of fabric >

Sewing machine throwing a fit...chewing up corner of fabric

Sewing machine throwing a fit...chewing up corner of fabric

Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I sew from the other end on the flying geese. From the middle so that won't happen. If I start on a corner, it always sucks down the edge and I get a clump of thread, so I go from the other end of the flying goose. Try it. It will help.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 AM

I sometimes resort to putting a scrap piece of paper under each point before sewing. Works the same as a single hole plate.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 AM

Great suggestions. I have this happen occasionally & always wondered what to do. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
I am sewing half sew triangles and my machine keeps grabbing the top corner and shoving it down into the needle hole. I have slowed down my sewing, I start with a leader and nothing seems to help with the problem. This is not happening on everyone but when I am trying to chain stitch and i am stopping to pull out the fabric and then get the knot out of the corner of the fabric I start to throw a fit.

Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, and I am going to change the needle and see if that helps. I am starting to hear that popping sound when my needle gets dull.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353612[/ATTACH]
Very simple solution for what you're doing. Sew from the side instead of the point.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 AM

On your face plate, do you have a single hole or the zigzag face plate? If zigzag, change to single hole plate.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 AM

I have seen some of the sewers on t.v. mention having a scrap piece of material to start sewing on, then go onto your piece you are working on, like chain stitich from the scrap to the work. Sewing with Nancy does it a lot on her show but not going to say they were doing a flying geese block, but it did keep the corner from being sucked down in machines. New needle helps too. change mine when it starts making popping sound. Hope this helps. I am working on a flying geese border now, learned a simple way to do it. Here is the tute where I learned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKfM3...eature=related

I can actually do this. Is by Missouri Quilt Company but think it is a Eleanor Burns design.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I changed the needle and I only had one corner get sucked into the hole so far. As far as the faceplate, I think I only have the one thats on there don't remember it coming with another.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:18 PM

I had the same problem and to solve it I cleaned out the feed dogs they were not grabbing the fabric after I did that it was fine. but thanks for the suggestion to change the needle.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 AM

I love my Bernina but the larger hole face plate and the wider feed dogs necessary to allow the decorative stitches I like to use does cause a sucking problem. I do a lot of "princess pillowcase dresses" for a local chairity project that require making straps from bias binding etc. My machine is notorious for sucking it down into the "lower reaches' of my machine. The binding is often to narrow to be caught by the feed dogs which is also frustrating. My current machine also has the option for the embroidery module, which I did not purchase. That makes the throat plate and feed dogs even wider.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:20 AM

if you are sewing square to a rectangle, as pictured, put the end with the rectangle into the machine first, not the tip of the square, i was given this info at a class recently and it does help, the feed dogs get to hold the underlying fabric...i hope this helps and makes sense